Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
New York, NY
Hello,

I recently noticed that when using my new Powerbook, I am disconnected from the Internet when I shut the lid of the machine. Is there any way to stay connected to the Internet while the lid is closed? I use AIM and like to keep it up while I am at work, so I have had to keep the lid open.

Let me know if anyone has ideas!

Thanks,

Diana

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When you close the lid the computer goes to sleep (i.e. the CPU is powered down, the disks spin down and so on). The only way to stay connected is to keep the machine awake. If you connect and external input device you can wake the machine with the lid closed.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I think this is should be a request made to apple to add to their OS.
Better Power managment opitions. I understand the longic behind how apple set it up.

For example on my window and the windows laptop power managment options are a lot better

For example on my windows laptop in power managment

When screen is closed do xxxxxx
When power key is pressed do xxxxxx
When standy key is pressed do xxxxxx

for the xxxxxx the choose are
do noughting
standby
shutdown
Hibernate
Ask me what to do*does not apply to closed lid.

Now when I do close the lid on my laptop the montior turns off but that is a hardwired and windows has no control over that it just knows I closed it. This something apple could add to thier power management.

As for the use of not going to sleep or shutting down is if you are connect to the net, the computer is working on something or you just need to close the lid for a little bit and you dont want to wait for it wake back up. Using a laptop in class is somewhere when it nice. Plus when you are on a wireless network it takes some time to get back on to it when you disconnect.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Well like I said, there is a command line option somewhere that toggles whether the machine will go to sleep on closing the lid or not.

Other than that, there's no standby button, and pressing Power will ask what you want to do.

Perhaps Tiger will have the options, as it does mention better power management.

Still, my Powerbook wakes up in around a second or less; by the time I've fully opened the lid, it's ready to go.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
andrewfee said:
Well like I said, there is a command line option somewhere that toggles whether the machine will go to sleep on closing the lid or not.

Other than that, there's no standby button, and pressing Power will ask what you want to do.

Perhaps Tiger will have the options, as it does mention better power management.

Still, my Powerbook wakes up in around a second or less; by the time I've fully opened the lid, it's ready to go.

standy button = sleep button. hmm just looking in the power managment on windows. Apperently it is sleep button

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Sleep/Standby; it's the same thing. I meant that the Powerbook only has a Power button, so that doesn't really apply to it. (they're pointless imo)

dirily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
New York, NY
kingjr3 said:
Your using AIM with a powerbook lid closed? :confused: Without any external connections (display/keyboard/mouse), I am curious how you do this :p

Well not actually USING Aim, but being signed on to AIM. I want the ability to put up away messages when I leave for the day, and come home and have all of my messages waiting for me . I want to do all this with the lid closed so the screen doesn't get dusty. PC laptops allow a power option like this. (although it's probably not best for the machine...)

thanks for the help so far! :)

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
applemacdude said:
this is not advisable tho

you can damage your powerbook with the extra heat inside of it
The Powerbooks are designed for closed-lid operation; why else would they be made so that you can close them, and on attaching an external monitor, they wake up and use that as the primary display?

iBooks on the other hand are not. I've found that a lot of the heat from my Powerbook comes out of the back just below the hinge.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
andrewfee said:
Sleep/Standby; it's the same thing. I meant that the Powerbook only has a Power button, so that doesn't really apply to it. (they're pointless imo)

well sleep/standby keys are not exactly on the computer it self but they are on keyboards so that is why that it button is on their. On my laptop it is one of I have to hit the Fn key and then it one of the F1-6 keys I dont know off the top of my head since their are several things there. Ranging from calling up the batt monitor % to controling the laptop montior and an extran display, stuff like that. but either way you get the idea.
For example sleep key on my laptop puts it in standy, Power button Hibranates the computer, close lid does noughting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.