PDA

View Full Version : Best OSX lion install method...... Migration assistant question

sim667
Jul 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
So I was on the verge of upgrading today, but decided to leave it until I'd done my research.

What I'm concerned about is being unable to use certain apps, I don't think I have many that rely on rosetta to run but their might be the odd one or two to worry about.

So what have peope have problems with installing it?

I'm considering buying a new hard drive, the same size as my current main drive (may even consider and ssd), and I was thinking about downloading lion, extracting the dmg from the install folder and making a bootable DVD, then installing lion to the new hard disk, and using migration assistant to transfer everything over into lion. Would that work? Does migration assistant literally transfer everything, I've not used it before?

Then I can keep the original hard drive as a second snow leopard boot disk, all set up as I had it incase I need to use it to run any older applications etc.

gentlefury
Jul 27, 2011, 03:57 PM
No problems here. Upgraded and have been running just fine.

robgendreau
Jul 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Not a bad strategy, especially if you're due for a hard drive upgrade anyway.

I just did the Apple install. And since I have a good backup, the worst is that I would have to reinstall SL and restore. But so far it's been the easiest upgrade ever. Kinda more like a 10.69.0 from the outside.

Check the developers of the older software you use, or roaringapps.com to see if your older stuff will work.

rob

sim667
Aug 2, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be saving for an ssd..... Something about 320 gb