PDA

View Full Version : Did I just make a big mistake by changing advanced user settings?

Caanan
Jul 27, 2011, 06:36 PM
I changed the Account Name under Advanced User Settings. Like an idiot, I didn't read the warning that making these kinds of changes could keep me from being able to log in upon restart. I would just change it back, but it doesn't allow me type in my old name.

So here is the issue:

• My Account Name is now "Caanan."

• My old Account Name was "MacBook (C)"

• My home directory is still "/Users/MacBook (C)"

Is this a big problem? Is there a way to rename my home directory to "Caanan"?

I am nervous to restart my computer. :eek:

Thanks for the help.

robgendreau
Jul 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
I'm no big authority on this, but I have had problems where I renamed an account. It resulted in some permission issues, but wasn't particularly dreadful, just annoying.

I would say trying renaming again might make things worse. I suggest you create a new account called "emergency" or something while you still are logged in now, and give that account administrator permissions…just in case. And have your original software disk available and know how to change the password when you boot from it. Then try restarting and see where you go from there.

This assumes, of course, you have a backup, right??

Rob

angelwatt
Jul 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Here's a page from Apple (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1428) on their recommended procedure for renaming the user account. It doesn't mention support for Lion, but likely the Snow Leopard (the 10.5 or later instructions) are still the same.

This article (http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/20/change-short-name-user-mac-os-x/) also talks about a way of changing the account name.

You'll likely need to start up in Single User Mode (hold Cmd+S on startup) unless you have a second account to work from to get things resolved, but I do believe it can be fixed.

Caanan
Jul 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the links and additional info. I am doing a full back-up and have created another Admin user account. I'll restart and keep my fingers crossed that I haven;t hosed things up.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: I was totally overreacting. No problem at all. :)

redsteven
Jul 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
Can you log in as guest and Repair Permissions?

no idea if that will work, but worth a shot