Jul 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
2 reasons
1- wake on LAN is not functional. I use this a lot to remotely access my iMac

2- I get random lock ups often

I continue to run it on my MBA though

Thoughts?

GoCubsGo
Jul 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thoughts are you made a choice that is wise for you. Is the WOL a reported issue or just your issue?

Someone who truly wants to discuss will leave bona fide reasons and not expect us to hunt and peck for his thoughts.

idonotliketostu
Jul 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
i'm thinking about going back to sl too.

In lion, my macbook pro freezes twice a day without reason.
I have to press the power button and restart like it's windows 95.

derbothaus
Jul 27, 2011, 09:14 PM
I went back because I'm not liking the ever present "toy" feeling Lion is. Not because of technical issues. We should have 2 settings like Server used to have on install. "Simple" and "Advanced". Shoving simple down our throats is uncomfortable.

vivek2701
Jul 28, 2011, 12:13 AM
These issue mentioned here are product specific.. I have been running lion with no issue at all. maybe you should try a clean install.
Personally i am loving the Lion, though only after a clean install. i would suggest you give it a try.

Kevenly
Jul 28, 2011, 02:55 AM
I went back because I'm not liking the ever present "toy" feeling Lion is. Not because of technical issues. We should have 2 settings like Server used to have on install. "Simple" and "Advanced". Shoving simple down our throats is uncomfortable.

That is the EXACT feeling I've had since installing Lion, with it's Launchpad, defaulting to having your home library invisible, etc. It just gets worse and worse as far as "protecting" us from our own systems. I'm seeing a Mac future coming that I'd rather not, with the computers being as closed off as the iDevices.

Just as you are saying, I have been thinking that I don't have a problem whatsoever with simplicity, as long as the option to turn off idiot mode is easily available. I was remembering the days of the "simple finder" option, and as you say now it's become a matter of just shoving everything down our throats if we wish to stay current. You pretty much have to keep up to date with OS X or you won't be able to do what you need to. Ironically Apple keeps Safari and iTunes up to date on Windows XP, over a decade old, but they won't keep the same applications current on their own OS versions that many people are still using, such as Tiger 10.4.

I also don't see why it was necessary to stamp out Rosetta; it strikes me as rather arrogant to discount the needs of users. Why can't it be an option? It seems other operating systems put more effort into backwards compatibility.

And here's a real kicker.. I went to watch a movie on my projector which previously has been quite easy. I just plug in the projector to the displayport, open Quicktime, drag the movie window to the projector and hit full screen. My movie plays and I can still use the computer. No more - Now when I drag the window to the projector and go full screen, it does that new slide thing. It sends the movie to my MBP's monitor and turns the projector screen black. You can't be full screen with a video and use your other screen for other stuff. What in the world kind of change is that? I was so upset when I had guests over and went to use it. The only solution to get the video on the second display (projector) ended up being to use Quicklook from the finder. Ridiculous. I hope they change this.

hekokimushi
Jul 28, 2011, 03:53 AM
Also did a CLEAN install with NO migration on my MB5,1.
no hick ups except, Textedit doesn't open. my way round is to grab the 10.6.8 copy. seems to work with no issues.

other than that... near perfect :apple::apple:

Celeron
Jul 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
2 reasons

Thoughts?

Bummer. Wake On Lan works perfectly here on my old Mac Mini. I did a clean install. The Mini serves up Time Machine backups and I keep it sleeping as much as possible. The Bonjour Sleep Proxy in my Airport Extreme wakes it with no problem.

derbothaus
Jul 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
... near perfect :apple::apple:

Maybe for a home user. You must have been one of their primary beta testers.:p

Psilocybin
Jul 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe I'll give the wake on LAN another shot I'll look into it on my MBA which I used for dev and was a clean install. Thanks For input

amit.bhansali
Jul 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have an iMac from 2009 and could not get it to Wake on LAN. Is this feature only on recent models? I use Log Me In on my Pcs and it works fine. =(

2 reasons

Thoughts?

Psilocybin
Jul 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have an iMac from 2009 and could not get it to Wake on LAN. Is this feature only on recent models? I use Log Me In on my Pcs and it works fine. =(

You enable it In the power settings and your imac has to be hard wired

Psilocybin
Aug 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
still cant get wol to function at all on 2010 MBA or 2011 iMac

Taz Mangus
Aug 10, 2011, 09:23 PM
2 reasons

Thoughts?

Initially I had a issue with WOL. To resolve this I unselected all my sharing services, reset PRAM and reselected my sharing services. Now it works. I have not had any lockups yet. I did have iTunes crash on me today though.

An interesting thing that I noticed is that the word of the day screen saver stopped working last night. I did some searching and it seems that I am not the only person who is experiencing this. It is speculated that the word of the day server is down. I can't get the word of the day to work under system preferences but if I go directly to /System/Library/Screen Savers/Word of the Day.qtz it shows the aqua background and after about 30 seconds "Hello World!" comes up. I first thought it was a joke created by one of the Apple software programmers.

CodeCavalier
Aug 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
And here's a real kicker.. I went to watch a movie on my projector which previously has been quite easy. I just plug in the projector to the displayport, open Quicktime, drag the movie window to the projector and hit full screen. My movie plays and I can still use the computer. No more - Now when I drag the window to the projector and go full screen, it does that new slide thing. It sends the movie to my MBP's monitor and turns the projector screen black. You can't be full screen with a video and use your other screen for other stuff. What in the world kind of change is that? I was so upset when I had guests over and went to use it. The only solution to get the video on the second display (projector) ended up being to use Quicklook from the finder. Ridiculous. I hope they change this.

Ridiculous is right! An app window should stay on the same monitor when it is switched to full screen. That's one of the things I loved about Macs after switching from Windows, up until now. This reminds me of when I moved my Chase bank account to a local bank, only to have that local bank bought out by Chase a year later. It's a vast conspiracy to take over the world and quash our freedom of expression, that's what it is.

blackomega31
Aug 22, 2011, 05:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

1) lion should should have been called Kitten

2) lion broke the reality distortion field

3) I love apple and I want to like lion but nothing has ever made me want to Dowgrade before in my life THAT ENDS TODAY