PDA

View Full Version : Lion's Lament

mainstay
Jul 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
I just received this email and I just had to share.

Dear Matthew

I was seduced by a Lion, even though I loved my Snow Leopard.

I have tried to "get used to it." I have tried to learn to live with it. But my life is much reduced, full of bugs and slower than it has ever been.

Is it in your power to come and uninstall the Lion? I would be slaveringly grateful,

Kathie

How's that for a user testimonial Apple?

aristobrat
Jul 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
I just received this email and I just had to share.

How's that for a user testimonial Apple?
People have written similar "testimonials" for every OS X upgrade Apple has put out.

Honestly, the bitching over Leopard was way worse than Lion.

Aduntu
Jul 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
You can't trust the testimonial of a user that isn't capable of downgrading on their own.

mainstay
Jul 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
You can't trust the testimonial of a user that isn't capable of downgrading on their own.

I am still testing Lion so I can't properly comment on Lion's pros and cons.

I was relaying an email from an EVERY DAY USER.

And it made me chuckle.

So I thought I would share.

This is a writer that uses their iMac for writing, email, and web. She say's her productivity is negatively impacted. How can you disagree?

I don't think it is fair to say their opinion is any more or less valid simply because they are a user and not a power user or an admin.

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
Not saying her testimony isn't valid. Just saying that similar things have been said about every release of OS X. Doesn't make it not true, but all the previous releases turned out well, Lion will too.

Aduntu
Jul 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
In many cases it is fair to say that their opinion is less valid. Many (I would say average but I have no way to calculate the average) users can't distinguish between a bug and not knowing how to operate something. "Full of bugs" and "slower than it has ever been" could both be attributed to not understanding how to interact with new features.

The opinion of a person that can't load a SL disc to downgrade, or Google the instructions to downgrade, shouldn't be taken as seriously as someone that is capable of those things.

HawaiiMacAddict
Jul 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
She's omitting a bit of necessary information, such as how her productivity was impacted. It's one thing to say that it's been impacted, but without knowing how, you have no possible solution to alleviate said impasse. Maybe she's just one of those "I don't like change and want to go back" types. Heck, it's only been a few days since Lion was released. Maybe if she takes a bit more time to try to understand how the OS works, she'll like it a bit better.

The "full of bugs" line is a little bit worn out already. Which bugs is she referencing? Personally, the only bugs I've experienced are with some of the 3rd party apps I use, and one big one with Apple. I can save as PDF, but even though the links are properly colored blue, then are not clickable. Embedded links, that is. For example, link content on web pages is not accessible via a saved PDF from said page. That's a huge problem for me if, sometime later, I decide to revisit that page and click on the link, only to find that the original page is no longer on its website. This is due to a change in Webkit, and Apple is most likely working on a solution to this problem, as PDF creation is so tightly wound up in OS X.

She also didn't mention the computer on which you installed Lion. Obviously you know that, but if it's a slightly older model, with only 2GB RAM, that could also be a problem. There's just too much left out for her "complaints" to be considered valid. Maybe I'm just a little tired of all the "OMG, Lion completely sucks. I want to go back to Snow Leopard NOW!!!!!!!!" type posts. Yes, there are a lot of changes, and some workflows have been changed drastically as a result. We'll all just have to learn how to deal with it. Change is inevitable, especially with Apple.

mainstay
Jul 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
bah!

You guys are no fun.

but this is true:

Maybe if she takes a bit more time to try to understand how the OS works, she'll like it a bit better.

I agree with you guys on most of your points.

I can guarantee she hasn't seen any other user points of view wrt bugs et al. It's a brand new iMac - bought this spring.

Again, I was just chuckling over this one little email in the midst of all the posts on the forums.

fisherking
Jul 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
really, every new OS brings fear and sadness... :confused:
personally, bugs notwithstanding, am totally getting in to Lion (and there are some big bugs).

anyway, it's the way of the future; you move forward, change (usually a good thing), or get left behind.

one day, you go to install a new app, and it will REQUIRE lion as a minimum OS...

Branskins
Jul 27, 2011, 10:10 PM
It's like she is trying to say it between her teeth because the Lion is watching! Waiting for her to try and scream for help, so she must remain composed and signal for help!

I think if she waits and tries to understand the Lion, the Lion will become more tame and become another friendly pet cat in the line of OS X!