PDA

View Full Version : Mail.App is out of control

GizmoDVD
Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
So I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook air and an iMac. How in the world do I get them all to place nice with Gmail? Sometimes I get e-mails on my Air...and sometimes not. Sometimes it copies whatever I have received and deleted (on my iPhone)....and sometimes not. What is the best way to set all of these up so when I delete from one device, it's gone on the next? And that if I get an e-mail, it won't randomly choose what device it goes to?

eeyoredragon
Jul 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
So I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook air and an iMac. How in the world do I get them all to place nice with Gmail? Sometimes I get e-mails on my Air...and sometimes not. Sometimes it copies whatever I have received and deleted (on my iPhone)....and sometimes not. What is the best way to set all of these up so when I delete from one device, it's gone on the next? And that if I get an e-mail, it won't randomly choose what device it goes to?

I assume you have it set up as IMAP?

GizmoDVD
Jul 27, 2011, 10:35 PM
I assume you have it set up as IMAP?

Yep - on both the Air and iPhone. As of right now, the Air is not getting any new e-mails because my iPhone "catches" them first.

redsteven
Jul 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing that eeyoredragon's asking because if you accidentally set it up as POP instead of IMAP... that would explain the symptoms here. I believe that POP downloads it from the server and then deletes it... whereas IMAP allows you to keep a copy on the server.

i could be wrong though

GizmoDVD
Jul 27, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm guessing that eeyoredragon's asking because if you accidentally set it up as POP instead of IMAP... that would explain the symptoms here. I believe that POP downloads it from the server and then deletes it... whereas IMAP allows you to keep a copy on the server.

i could be wrong though

I double-checked and both are IMAP.

jman240
Jul 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
I double-checked and both are IMAP.

The issue you describe sounds very much like something is set up as POP3.

Do you have POP access disabled in Gmail (it's in settings). Best way to be sure.

Are the emails you're talking about disappearing from Gmail's web interface as well?

GizmoDVD
Jul 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
The issue you describe sounds very much like something is set up as POP3.

Do you have POP access disabled in Gmail (it's in settings). Best way to be sure.

Are the emails you're talking about disappearing from Gmail's web interface as well?

Under Gmail.com settings (Forwarding and Pop/IMAP), Pop is not 'marked' at all. Both options from Number 1 are not chosen.

jman240
Jul 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Re-reading your posts I'm confused now. When you say the iPhone is catching the mail do you mean that it shows up, you read it there and then there is no trace of it on the Air or does it just show up read.

Have you tried going to the option Mailbox -> Synchronize All Accounts on the Air? Do the emails show up then. Mail seems to only poll the server at certain intervals, if you force it, and at launch. If you're leaving it running it doesn't usually update immediately but telling it to sync should do that.