PDA

View Full Version : iPhone not charging or syncing since Lion update

JasonHears
Jul 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
I've had Lion installed for a few days now, and everything seems great...until I connect my iPhone 4 for the first time. Immediately I notice that it doesn't change to the charging battery display or make it's little link sound. At first I thought my cable had died, so I grabbed my spare. Still no connection. I open up iTunes and iPhoto, but they don't see the iPhone either.

Next, I go to "About this mac" and open up the System Report. Under the hardware > USB section, I see my iPhone listed under the "USB High-Speed Bus" at the bottom of the list (next to the Built-in iSight). If I disconnect the iPhone, and refresh the System Report, the iPhone will disappear from the list. So it's apparent that there is some connection being made. It just seems like it might not have enough power, possibly? Under the info for the iPhone, it says it has 500 mA "Current Available", but then lists "Unknown (Device has not been configured)" under "Current Required".

I plugged in an external hard drive, and that came up fine and I was able to access files on it.

Anyone else run in to this issue? Any ideas you might suggest I try? Oh, I have already tried resetting PRAM (Command-Option-PR on boot) multiple times, but no change.

TIA

kamuix
Jul 28, 2011, 12:37 AM
i think it might be itunes also. on the login items, from account info, it had a unknown mark next to the itunes helper. i'd assumed that was something that ran to detect an iphone or other apple product plugged in and fire up itunes. so i deleted that and i can plug my iphone and it will charge but itunes wont load. so i just started itunes and it seems to detect the phone after i do. im guessing maybe something went wary after installing lion as i updated itunes before lion. maybe reinstall itunes or something.

also my iphone is connected to a usb hub and the usb device listing does see the hub, the iphone, and the mouse i have plugged in.

JasonHears
Jul 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
i think it might be itunes also. on the login items, from account info, it had a unknown mark next to the itunes helper. i'd assumed that was something that ran to detect an iphone or other apple product plugged in and fire up itunes. so i deleted that and i can plug my iphone and it will charge but itunes wont load. so i just started itunes and it seems to detect the phone after i do. im guessing maybe something went wary after installing lion as i updated itunes before lion. maybe reinstall itunes or something.

Thanks, I'll check that out and try reinstalling iTunes. It just seems odd to me that it could affect the charging state of the iPhone, because as long as the USB port is supplying power, it should be dumb to what device is actually plugged in to it. But maybe there is some power management layer to the USB ports that's screwey?

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 11:26 AM

also my iphone is connected to a usb hub and the usb device listing does see the hub, the iphone, and the mouse i have plugged in.

The iTunes 10.4 update broke my iTunes helper application in the log in items as well. It might be worth fixing. Find iTunes in Applications. Right click and choose Show Package Contents and drill down to /Contents/MacOS/ Drag iTunesHelper to the log in items pane. See if that fixes it.

dcorban
Jul 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

From what I can tell, iTunes no longer needs the helper app. It was not installed on my clean install of lion and it was automatically disabled when I upgraded on a different Mac.

I sync my iPhone 4 with no problems. It also shows in iPhoto.