Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Hi all,

I need to buy an external DVD burner. I'm considering the LaCie ones any thoughts?

The thing I'm not sure about is should I buy the Slimline (Porsche- bus power-)

Or the d2 models. LightScribe looks cool.

Basically I'm looking for any comments on LaCie products.

Thank You.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I bought a slimline and it is waay wicked cool at 8X, but the first one died, and it looks like my second one (after 3 months) is dead too. Stay away from those.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I just got the D2 lightscribe last week. The lightscribe is pretty neat and although I am still a fan of printable CDs on my R300, it's nice to have something that won't smudge from moisture.

The lightscribe software is very easy to use and is pretty much drag and drop, but on a high quality lighscribe burn it will take a half hour if you're using an image on the entire disc. I can't speak for just a bit of text seeing as how I haven't tried that yet, but I would imagine it's a whole lot quicker.

I don't buy externals very often, but this one seems great to me.

FYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Thank You

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I'm going with the d2 with LightScribe. Don't know how often I'll use that feature, but it won't hurt to have it.

Sean

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
LaCie is really good. But you could find a cheaper deal on something else that works well. Or you could buy an internal burner with external casing and it's basically the same thing as buying an external burner. You will probably end up saving money buy buying the internal/external casing.

FYA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
JzzTrump22 said:
LaCie is really good. But you could find a cheaper deal on something else that works well. Or you could buy an internal burner with external casing and it's basically the same thing as buying an external burner. You will probably end up saving money buy buying the internal/external casing.

any particular model you would recommend ?

I've heard that NEC and Panasonic are good.

Thanks 4 Ur time.

sean.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
noel4r said:
Do you need a special blank DVD media for lightscribe or any DVD-R will do?

It requires special lightscribe media. Just google for it, I'm sure you'll find some places that sell it. It's more expensive than regular media.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Well...

FYA said:
any particular model you would recommend ?

I've heard that NEC and Panasonic are good.

Thanks 4 Ur time.

sean.

Actually, some of the LaCie external DVD drives are really NEC drives but rebranded. My external LaCie DVD burner is really just a rebranded NEC burner. But hey, if you can find a better drive for cheaper, more power to ya.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I've had a Lacie "Porsche" FireWire 12x DVD burner for about six months. Generally I'm very happy with it. Only thing is, I've had a weird problem a few times where my Mac "loses" the burner -- it just doesn't recognize it anymore. All I have to do is pull the power cord for a second and plug it back in and it's good to go, but it is an ususual problem. However I've burned dozens of DVD's and CD's and I haven't made a coaster yet!

Having said that, I want a Lacie d2 16x LightScribe burner, which I'm probably going to buy as soon as I find one. It won't be all that much faster but I love cool technology applications like LightScribe.

These things are getting so cheap anymore, especially now that the d2 includes the FULL version of Toast Titanium 6.0. You can't beat that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.