PDA

View Full Version : Old OS 9 Game.. Forgot the Title >_<

CubaTBird
Apr 13, 2005, 12:24 PM
There was this old school game I used to play in OS 8 actually.. It was a 2d side scroller.. and you were placed in a forest setting... u were this guy that wore like jeans and a brown jacket.. gnaw it was really fun! anybody know what im talking about? :confused:

clayj
Apr 13, 2005, 12:27 PM
Sounds like Pitfall, but that was for the Atari 2600. :)

(I'm an old Pitfall junkie... scored perfect scores on both Pitfall games on the 2600 many, many times.)

redeye be
Apr 13, 2005, 12:33 PM
OMG

i was thinking about posting this question yesterday!

You get dropped off in the woods with a holo cube of some kind, you have to throw stones and such, right?
In later stages you have to take a subway... this brings back memories.

DavidLeblond
Apr 13, 2005, 12:46 PM
OMG

i was thinking about posting this question yesterday!

You get dropped off in the woods with a holo cube of some kind, you have to throw stones and such, right?
In later stages you have to take a subway... this brings back memories.

That game is Flashback.

I played it a long time ago when it was for the Sega Genesis. It was by the people who had made the game Out Of This World. Both of those games were sweet... I remember at the time the quality of the cinematics were pretty amazing.

redeye be
Apr 13, 2005, 12:55 PM
Out Of This World
lol, i loved kicking those bloodsuckers that crawled up your legs in one of the first screens.

thx for this trip down memory lane CubaTBird and DavidLeblond

comictimes
Apr 13, 2005, 01:39 PM
No clue what game you're talking about- although couldn't it be Pitfall? I could have sworn they made that game for the computer as well...

Speaking of old-school games, did anyone ever play Specter? It was that 3d tank game, from like 1990 or something... so much fun.

clayj
Apr 13, 2005, 04:26 PM
No clue what game you're talking about- although couldn't it be Pitfall? I could have sworn they made that game for the computer as well...

Speaking of old-school games, did anyone ever play Specter? It was that 3d tank game, from like 1990 or something... so much fun.Yeah, a family friend had some sort of Apple computer back then, and we used to play Spectre on it quite a bit. It was really cool.

Ringo
Apr 13, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, a family friend had some sort of Apple computer back then, and we used to play Spectre on it quite a bit. It was really cool.

MAN!!!! i used to play that game on my old mac when i was like 8 year old(back in '97). green wireframe tank man i had fun with this. The explosion were pretty nice too. btw if i remember well i think there's a site that got a lot of old game does anyone know what it is??

whooleytoo
Apr 13, 2005, 04:42 PM
That game is Flashback.

I played it a long time ago when it was for the Sega Genesis. It was by the people who had made the game Out Of This World. Both of those games were sweet... I remember at the time the quality of the cinematics were pretty amazing.

It certainly sounds like Flashback. Still play both games occasionally even if I'm stuck on both!!

Can be found at: the underdogs (http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=47)

CubaTBird
Apr 13, 2005, 04:58 PM
It certainly sounds like Flashback. Still play both games occasionally even if I'm stuck on both!!

Can be found at: the underdogs (http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=47)

is this the full version? if so that ROCKS!

CubaTBird
Apr 13, 2005, 05:28 PM
woa, that underdogs site.. u can dl most of those old games.. good find dudes! :)

DavidLeblond
Apr 13, 2005, 10:39 PM
Psst be careful posting abandonware sites... they're not exactly legal. ;)

Mechcozmo
Apr 14, 2005, 12:09 AM
Psst be careful posting abandonware sites... they're not exactly legal. ;)

Depends. If a site finds software from companies that have gone under or have abandon their software, then they are good. Oft times they get permission, too.

Eric5h5
Apr 14, 2005, 01:39 AM
Depends. If a site finds software from companies that have gone under or have abandon their software, then they are good. Oft times they get permission, too.

Afraid copyright doesn't work like that...there is technically no such thing as abandonware. If you don't have permission, it's illegal, period. For old stuff where ownership is in doubt, probably nobody cares, but it's still taking at least a small chance and according to the law, theoretically you could still get in serious trouble if somebody involved wanted to take the time. Quite possibly the laws should be updated to reflect the realities of the digital age, but until then....

--Eric