PDA

View Full Version : Safari was using 1.5GB ram on its own - Lion and/or Safari problem?

MacRum2011
Jul 28, 2011, 05:25 AM
DOn't if Lion has anything to do with Sarfari using 1.5GB of ram, in any case it pushed my ram usage to 100% which was my entire 4GB of ram and was on the verge of locking up.I quit safari and my ram usage wen down to 2.5GB used ram Safari web Content is now 200MB and I am watching it and it keeps creeping up, the main ram hog was Safari Web Content, does this add up and use more ram, say if I open safari in the morning and don't close it all day long and surf the web is this going to store using the ram. Is there a way to stop this happening or do I have to close Safari every hour to clean it or something?

(Safari web Content is now 206MB (gone up 6MB since I started typing this)

paulsalter
Jul 28, 2011, 05:27 AM
DOn't if Lion has anything to do with Sarfari using 1.5GB of ram, in any case it pushed my ram usage to 100% which was my entire 4GB of ram and was on the verge of locking up.I quit safari and my ram usage wen down to 2.5GB used ram Safari web Content is now 200MB and I am watching it and it keeps creeping up, the main ram hog was Safari Web Content, does this add up and use more ram, say if I open safari in the morning and don't close it all day long and surf the web is this going to store using the ram. Is there a way to stop this happening or do I have to close Safari every hour to clean it or something?

(Safari web Content is now 206MB (gone up 6MB since I started typing this)

have a read of this, others have memory problems in safari

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1181523

Icy1007
Jul 28, 2011, 05:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Safari for me is only using around 200MB with six tabs open. Its been running for about eight hours today. I doubt there is any memory leak or maybe I'm just lucky.

mac1984user
Jul 28, 2011, 05:54 AM
I don't seem to have this memory leak problem with Safari as some other people are reporting. Mine sits at about 170MBs and doesn't really deviate too much from that. It can fall back down to about 120 or up to about 200, but nothing near the kind of memory hogging yours is doing. There must be an explanation for why it's happening to some people. Too bad, I have no idea what that is.

EDIT: Nevermind. Now that I've been using Safari for a few days, I'm registering a memory usage of over 550MB. That's ridiculous...sigh...

MacRum2011
Jul 28, 2011, 06:10 AM
i'm gonna monitor safari for a few days and see what goes and see if anything sets it off the rails.