Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Nintendo didn't lose your bank details but anyone who buys a 3DS and logs onto the shop once before mid-August will be given 20 free Virtual Console games.

The 10 NES games include stuff like Zelda 1.
The 10 GBA games include stuff like Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island, Mario Bros 3! And these won't be available to anyone else.

I think it's a bit cheeky that those 10 GBA games will only be available in this programme, but it's still super ace to be given 20 free games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-eu-3ds-price-cut-around-a-third

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
NTDOY took a dump today because of the price drop. They really need to get those killer games out.

So far, the 3DS only has one must-own game - Zelda. That's it.

The other 20+ games on the market, including the entire launch lineup, are either crappy, or niche. The next potential must-own game, Starfox, doesn't come out til September. And after that, there's nothing til Nov-Dec. Then you got Mario Kart, Icarus, etc but you also have the Vita coming out.

Meaning at least 4 more months of bad 3DS press. Nintendo needs to get moving.

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
What good is a price drop?

It's not the price that is keeping people from buying the 3DS. It's the fact that there is not a great game that is worth having one for. It can be $100 but it's still too expensive if there is nothing worth playing on it...

But I'm sure Nintendo is prepared for the slow burn....

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
^ same!

2 more GBA games have been announced too. Mario Bros 3 and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Bravo Nintendo!

It's not the price that is keeping people from buying the 3DS. It's the fact that there is not a great game that is worth having one for. It can be $100 but it's still too expensive if there is nothing worth playing on it...

In the UK now plenty of shops have slashed prices since the announcement and almost all shops my nearest city have almost sold out. GAME have plenty because they're still selling them for £200 (the fools!).
It was expensive for a handheld and that clearly was keeping people away.

It's still early days for the system though. Reminds me a lot of the original DS and PS3 launch where we had nothing for 6-12 months.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

This is what I was thinking but it judging from random comments, it looks like the price drop + OOT was enough to get more people to buy.

With press this bad, Nintendo would have had to price drop eventually anyway to compete with the Vita. I think they're trying to get the 3DS into as many peoples' hands as possible before Christmas so consumers will be vested in the system and will want to pick up the Mario games, etc, when the Vita becomes the next best thing. Then at the end of the year, Nintendo can announce a turnaround (that is, if they don't screw up again).

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
With press this bad, Nintendo would have had to price drop eventually anyway to compete with the Vita.

Possibly. But here in the UK a handheld console just does not sell until it's below £200. No Nintendo, Sega or Sony handheld has done well when priced so high. To mirror one of the above arguments - it can have all the games in the world, if it's too expensive then it's too expensive.

Still can't wait for it though and I'm going one of the foolish ones who gets a launch model.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I know that this may be a bit unrealistic but I really hope that one of those free gba games is Minish Cap and/or Kingdom Hearts: CoM.

Doesn't look like that will happen since they've only announced older games...:(

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Scratch those Mario Bros 3 and Kirby Magic Mirror games, turns out they were a big fib.

I know that this may be a bit unrealistic but I really hope that one of those free gba games is Minish Cap and/or Kingdom Hearts: CoM.

Doesn't look like that will happen since they've only announced older games...:(
Mario & Donkey Kong on the GBA isn't old (on the GBA timeline). But Kingdom Hearts can't happen because, going off the current list, it looks like the ambassador games have to be published by Nintendo. But that does mean...

It it does include MinishCap they can keep everything else :)

... is a possibility! I'd love Minish Cap.

Thing is Nintendo have said these GBA games are gifts and that they're not actually considering putting GBA games on the Virtual Console... at all. I can't understand why but that's what we know so far. So if they aren't planning on selling these games the last 5 could be really outstanding, GBA-sellers like Pokemon, Zelda and such.

Nintendo not selling GBA Virtual Console games at some point in the 3DS' future? Yeah right!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
NTDOY took a dump today because of the price drop. They really need to get those killer games out.

So far, the 3DS only has one must-own game - Zelda. That's it.

The other 20+ games on the market, including the entire launch lineup, are either crappy, or niche. The next potential must-own game, Starfox, doesn't come out til September. And after that, there's nothing til Nov-Dec. Then you got Mario Kart, Icarus, etc but you also have the Vita coming out.

Meaning at least 4 more months of bad 3DS press. Nintendo needs to get moving.

It looks like the PS Vita has been delayed until early next year outside Japan. :mad:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It looks like the PS Vita has been delayed until early next year outside Japan. :mad:

Yeah prob March.... Just in time to collide with my inevitable purchase of iPad 3, and not too long before Wii U.... Damn 2012 is getting expensive already :)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
On the NES side, there will an in-game manual that explains the controls, with a full manual coming later. There will be "pass the DS" multiplayer initially, with wireless versus play in the updated version. The typical "Restore Point" save functionality, allowing you to save/load at any time, will not be in the initial release, but it will come later. Instead, you'll be limited to suspending play via "VC Suspend."

As for the GBA games, there will be full manuals. Neither "Restore Point" nor "VC Suspend" are included, so you'll have to rely on each title's in-game system mechanisms. If you want to stop playing, make sure to exit the game, as there is no Sleep Mode with GBA releases, so your battery will go poof.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/more-details-on-those-3ds-ambassador-games/3583/

Sounds kind half-assed at first to me. Oh well, I guess they're free.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/more-details-on-those-3ds-ambassador-games/3583/

Sounds kind half-assed at first to me. Oh well, I guess they're free.

The NES games, meh I can understand. We're getting the finished updated versions when they launch.
The GBA games... from the sounds of it they're going to play just like GBA games on a DS. So not exactly Virtual Console. But unlike NES games GBA were built for handheld use to start with, so less use for save states and suspend play.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
The NES games are out on the E-shop guys.

The only thing is, you have to download each one of them separately. You have to go to Settings/Other and then click download and scroll down and download each one of them in turn.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
They're out in Europe too. It's a bit of a weird download system. Shame that no handheld has a fluid download system where you queue them up and just wait for them all to install. (other than iOS but blerg)

Still no details on what the other GBA games will be.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
They're out in Europe too. It's a bit of a weird download system. Shame that no handheld has a fluid download system where you queue them up and just wait for them all to install. (other than iOS but blerg)

Still no details on what the other GBA games will be.

Yeah, the download system was annoying and quite cumbersome. I also don't like that I can't clean up what's already there, so get rid of the receipts for the videos I downloaded and no longer care to know about.

And just so you know, my Android devices and PlayBook all have queued downloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.