Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielrmitchell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Bodmin, Cornwall, UK
At work I share a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer, which is connected via USB to a Windows XP box. This machine is running pretty much 24/7 as it serves a database out to several other workstations.

Although the Brother is a Network printer, it's network port was damaged years ago, hence the USB connection.

Previously (under Snow Leopard) the share work just fine. The first time I printed to it I typed it the username and password, ticked the 'remember in my keychain box' and ever since I would never have to type in the username or password again.

Until I upgraded to Lion that is. Ever since upgrading I now have to type the username and password EVERY TIME I print to this printer - ticking the 'remember' checkbox makes no difference.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is going wrong here? Do I have to set up the share differently on the XP box? If so, how? Or does anybody know of fix?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like an issue with the keychain (not remembering passwords) or just a bug within Lion.

Apple updated Lion with regarding to networking enhancing security, this could be a result of that.

danielrmitchell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Bodmin, Cornwall, UK
Thank you maflynn.

I read somewhere that it is possible to remove/reset the keychain somehow, but coming from a largely Windows background I have no idea about where to start.

Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? Is there a guide I could follow (that applies to Lion)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.