PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome just better?

Accent Audio
Jul 28, 2011, 07:59 AM
Does anyone else find Chrome to be 'just a better' overall browser? It seems to me that even in it's current state it is snappier on Lion than Safari.... I am looking forward to Google's Lion implementation!

CapnJackGig
Jul 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
Does anyone else find Chrome to be 'just a better' overall browser? It seems to me that even in it's current state it is snappier on Lion than Safari.... I am looking forward to Google's Lion implementation!

Yep. It also doesn't help that Safari's completely broken and eats memory like fat kids eat candy.

Accent Audio
Jul 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yep. It also doesn't help that Safari's completely broken and eats memory like fat kids eat candy.

Really?!? That I was not aware of... Yikes, things got even better for Chrome. C'mon Apple....

kikedeolivos
Jul 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
Right now (on 4Gig Ram) I have 6 tabs open in Safari + Mail+playing music via iTunes and my free Ram is 2.06 Gb.

BTW, I'm using Snow Leopard.

eeyoredragon
Jul 28, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't find it better overall. Safari's always been pretty quick for me for the most part.

I miss the double tap zooming in Safari 5 when I use Chrome.

But Safari's outrageous memory usage makes it a no go for me.

JKK photography
Jul 28, 2011, 10:22 AM

Completely broken how? Excuse me for my ignorance, but it seems very functional to me, as well as being just as fast as Chrome (if not faster in some cases).

Memory hog? Sure, but Chrome isn't much better. Add the memory usage of all the Chrome processes together to get the total.

aeaglex07
Jul 28, 2011, 10:35 AM
Completely broken how? Excuse me for my ignorance, but it seems very functional to me, as well as being just as fast as Chrome (if not faster in some cases).

Memory hog? Sure, but Chrome isn't much better. Add the memory usage of all the Chrome processes together to get the total.

yeah, in the past few months I've noticed that Chrome is just a RAM hungry as Safari

CapnJackGig
Jul 28, 2011, 10:47 AM

Been running Canary for three hours this morning. All totaled the processes add up to 210 meg. Running one tab on Safari for an hour total 1.5 gig of ram in use. Safari is either incredibly broken, or an incredibly poorly programmed browser. After two hours of Safari being used it starts to crawl and requires a restart of the program to even be functional again. Chrome owns it.

OutGolfn
Jul 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
I prefer chrome as well. I think its still the fastest and will be even better in a few weeks when they add in gesture support.

santaliqueur
Jul 28, 2011, 02:02 PM

I haven't closed Safari in over an hour, and in browsing dozens of various websites (some plain, some stuffed with content), Safari is using a whopping 144MB out of 16GB. The horror.

tblrsa
Jul 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Iīm using Chrome at the moment for the sole reason of Safari 5.1 being a big memory hog. Had no issues back on SL. Chrome isnīt a bad browser, but I miss all the gestures I can use in the Safari Browser.

Dolorian
Jul 28, 2011, 03:21 PM
Yep, very much...Chrome is just amazing.

JRoDDz
Jul 28, 2011, 03:44 PM
All the cool people use Firefox. ;)

eagandale4114
Jul 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
For me 5.1 fixed my memory issue. With no windows open 5.0 would consume 2+gb of ram. Now its less then 200 with a few tabs open.

emaja
Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
I like Safari better. Just my personal preference.

For those who say Safari uses too much RAM, does this impact performance or is it just a case of knowing something that "doesn't seem right" and making an issue out of it?

For me, Safari does seem to use more RAM that I think it should, but has absolutely no impact on its performance.

C64
Jul 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
Chrome has many very annoying quirks, but so does Safari. Like was said, don't just look at the Chrome app in the activity monitor. It has a different render process for each tab, so memory use is quite substantial. With Safari I have no problems with memory leaks, and memory usage is about the same as that of Chrome.

I use both browsers most of the time; no real favorite. I do feel like Safari is a bit more smooth, especially now in Lion. And the history-swiping is pretty neat (although it sucks that it reloads the page after you swipe back, making it pretty useless... irony, I guess). But overall they're both pretty stable browsers and both based on Webkit.

Compare it to the Gecko turd that's Firefox; a despicable excuse for a Mac app and modern browser.

3bs
Jul 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
Before upgrading to Lion I never used Safari but now with I've switched. Only thing that was keeping me from switching was the way you could use the url bar to do google searches as well in Chrome but I found out about a plugin called omnibar that basically lets you do the same thing on Safari

eeyoredragon
Jul 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
I haven't closed Safari in over an hour, and in browsing dozens of various websites (some plain, some stuffed with content), Safari is using a whopping 144MB out of 16GB. The horror.Sure, because the people complaining about memory use are seeing 144MB of memory used. Riiiiight.

"Works on my machine" is no more a measure of quality or fact than "Doesn't work on mine."

TheGenerous
Jul 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, with the packages for Lion is working faster than in snow leopard!

FourOhFour
Jul 28, 2011, 05:00 PM

Actually, because of shared memory, adding it all together will overestimate how much Chrome uses. The number Chrome gives if you visit chrome://memory-redirect/ should be closer, but that page says it is also an overestimate.

I don't know how to get an accurate count.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Activity Monitor does report shared memory separately. Never mind.