PDA

View Full Version : Files disappearing on local server after Lion update

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 09:18 AM
I just updated to Lion and now when I open a folder from our server some files instantly disappear. I see them disappear when I open the folder. I have an app call Reveal Hidden Files v1.2 and when I reveal hidden files the files are visible and I can open them. It is only random files that disappear. Why is this happening. Please Help.

Thanks

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
I just updated to Lion and now when I open a folder from our server some files instantly disappear. I see them disappear when I open the folder. I have an app call Reveal Hidden Files v1.2 and when I reveal hidden files the files are visible and I can open them. It is only random files that disappear. Why is this happening. Please Help.

Thanks

So you are saying Lion is hiding them?
You can open terminal and type
chflags nohidden /"path to folder"

and see if the files appear.

It just sounds like now these folders/files are hidden like you discovered. But since they are your files and not system files, it is unlikely that the OS decided to hide them. Permissions usually get messed up not chflags, unless you play with a program that can hide/unhide them

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
Below is a picture of the problem. Notice in the VH_set_11 folder the .txt files and .jpeg files are hidden. I revealed them with Reveal Hidden Files v1.2. This happens in a lot more folder than just this one.

http://www.redcmedia.net/uploads/1.jpg

So what would i type in terminal?

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
Below is a picture of the problem. Notice in the VH_set_11 folder the .txt files and .jpeg files are hidden. I revealed them with Reveal Hidden Files v1.2. This happens in a lot more folder than just this one.

http://www.redcmedia.net/uploads/1.jpg

So what would i type in terminal?

To unhide the VH_set_11 folder type

chflags nohidden /"path to folder", replacing "path to folder" with no quotes to your actual server.

Is it a windows server?

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 09:47 AM
yes its a windows server

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
yes its a windows server

Do you have access to the server? I would ask if they can unhide the folder, in DOS it should be attrib –h "path to folder" or check the GUI and see if the folder is hidden.
You can't unhide with the chflags command in terminal since it is a windows machine not a UNIX machine.

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
This is what happens happens in terminal.

http://www.redcmedia.net/uploads/2.jpg

It says "No such such file or directory"

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
ok ill see whats happens when I play around on the windows side.

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 09:58 AM
Yea, it would give you that, since you are connected to the machine that is not the actual path.

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
ok ill see whats happens when I play around on the windows side.

Check that first, if possible.

devonfarrell
Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
No Luck. Its just strange because my co-workers using Snow Leopard don't have this problem.

mrapplegate
Jul 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
No Luck. Its just strange because my co-workers using Snow Leopard don't have this problem.

By no luck you mean the files on the windows server are not set to hidden?
Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Make sure to send feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html) to Apple.

LDS0014
Aug 6, 2011, 11:07 AM
Just to chip in, I've had the same problem: windows server at work; upgraded work machine to Lion; some (but by no means all) of my files and folders seemed to disappear.
My macs at home are too old to run Lion ... one is Leopard and one is Snow Leopard, and I can see all the files and folders as before.
The network people said, 'those files/folders are marked as hidden, this is how macs interact with windows servers' and I am aware that mac resource forks can be hidden files and macs put funny little pref files on servers.
However, this seems a poor explanation because (a) only a small minority of my files and folders are affected and (b) it provides no explanation at all as to why this would happen with the Lion machine only.
There is a hidden preference in Lion to 'show hidden files' which you can toggle with Terminal or with freeware like Tinkertool (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html).
With this activated, I see the hidden files and folders; they are greyed out but I can still open them. And if I open files and re-save them, they become visible/unhidden.
However I think I need the network people to unhide the folders.
All very mysterious. I have sent feedback to Apple although the thing is so complicated to explain that I doubt it will register.

Bunker
Aug 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Sounds like lion had finally recognized those attributes of windows servers and work as it should be, hiding them.

LDS0014
Aug 6, 2011, 11:57 AM
That makes sense, but why would only (roughly) five out of eighty of my folders, and (roughly) ten out of a thousand of my files, be marked hidden? some of the files are .doc, some .docx, some .txt, some .pdf, like all the rest of my files that are not hidden.