PDA

View Full Version : Lion + SSD = Fail?

stlblufan
Jul 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
I have a mid-2010 MBP with an Intel 510 SSD in the main bay and a HDD in the optical bay. Setup worked fine with Snow Leopard, but with Lion, I constantly get beachballs at the login screen -- i.e., one out of every three times I restart the computer, it beachballs at the password prompt, and I have to hard reboot. I have wiped and reinstalled Lion clean several times--no difference.

Anyone else having issues? Any ideas?

Jakerz
Jul 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
Intel 320 SSD...in the week that I have had Lion(upgraded on release day & clean install Monday), I have only gotten one beach ball and it was for probably 1 or 2 seconds and that was on either Sunday or Monday.

Nielsenius
Jul 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have a mid-2010 MBP with an Intel 510 SSD in the main bay and a HDD in the optical bay. Setup worked fine with Snow Leopard, but with Lion, I constantly get beachballs at the login screen -- i.e., one out of every three times I restart the computer, it beachballs at the password prompt, and I have to hard reboot. I have wiped and reinstalled Lion clean several times--no difference.

Anyone else having issues? Any ideas?
I have the exact same issues, as do many 2010 MBP users on the Apple Support forums. It appears to be an issue with the 2010 i5/i7 graphics switching. If you turn off auto graphics switching it should fix the problem. Hopefully Apple fixes this quickly as it is a major bug. You can also enable auto login and you won't have the issue (since you don't go to the login screen).

By the way, no number of clean installs will help.

stlblufan
Jul 28, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have the exact same issues, as do many 2010 MBP users on the Apple Support forums. It appears to be an issue with the 2010 i5/i7 graphics switching. If you turn off auto graphics switching it should fix the problem. Hopefully Apple fixes this quickly as it is a major bug. You can also enable auto login and you won't have the issue (since you don't go to the login screen).

By the way, no number of clean installs will help.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot.