Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster so please be gentle ;)

I noticed that the SB processors in the MBA's and i new Mac mini's support Intel Quick Sync for video encoding. As I understand it, this feature is a lot faster the GPU acceleration but is not supported for video transcoding in OSX (yet..?)

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether the new Mac mini's would be able to take advantage of this feature running Windows 7 in bootcamp? Also, would it matter if the mini also had the HD6630 installed? On windows systems, I believe the Z68 chipset allows use of dedicated graphics along with Quick Sync, which is dependent on the integrated HD3000 graphics on the CPU.

So, would QuickSync work under Windows 7 on a mini, and would it work with the HD6630 also?

I'm looking to replace my ageing Core2Quad windows desktop that I use for HD video editing. Thanks for any help anyone can share.

IC

japtor

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
It working with the Radeon is a concern for me too, cause the chipset appears to be the older HM65 (at least on the low end), and I couldn't find any info on that regarding Quick Sync and discrete GPUs.

That said, worst case I figure there's a decent chance it can work because it's apparently possible with a software workaround.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, thanks for the quick response. Yeah I had heard about Lucid's 'solution' before but tbh it sounds like a PITA. It's a shame because Intel's QuickSync tech really blows other GPU-accelerated video transcoding out the water, but at the moment to utilise it you have to sacrifice having a dedicated GPU. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer until it all pans out - even if the base mini with just the HD3000 does allow QuickSync in Windows, I also game on my desktop and I doubt the Intel Graphics would suffice.

Thanks for your help,

IC

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
It's a shame because Intel's QuickSync tech really blows other GPU-accelerated video transcoding out the water, but at the moment to utilise it you have to sacrifice having a dedicated GPU.

QuickSync Video is an application-specific integrated circuit and is independent from the GPU. Intel just deactivates QuickSync, if you use another GPU. Some software can workaround this artificial limitation.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, thanks for the info. I can confirm that QuickSync does work on a MBP i7 with HD3000 under Windows 7. I use it for PowerDirector and MediaEspresso (not a great bit of software but nevermind)... The question still remains whether there is a workaround to get QuickSync working on macs with Radeon graphics, especially since graphics switching doesn't work under Windows as far as I'm aware. As was mentioned by someone earlier, Lucid has a solution for Windows machines but only on specific chipsets (Z68 as I recall).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

IC

japtor

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Is that MBP one with switchable graphics? (i7 isn't enough to identify since the 13" model can have an i7 and doesn't have a discrete GPU)

The Lucid solution is for chipsets before/other than Z68, which has that limitation fixed.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, sorry yes it's a MBP 13" with just the HD3000 :eek: Ah, I thought the Lucid Logix solution was integrated into Z68 motherboards (either BIOS or software not sure which). I didn't realise it worked on other motherboards too. It doesn't affect me any more anyway as I went with the 13" with just the HD3000 graphics and QuickSync does work under Windows. It would be good if anyone with a 2011 mac with Sandybridge and AMD graphics could try getting QuickSync to work under Windows as it makes a big difference to encode times.

Thanks for all the replies,

IC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.