PDA

View Full Version : USB condensers (mxl 009)

chris1184
Jul 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
does anyone have any experience with the mxl 009? I will be upgrading my usb condenser from a samson C01U...and want to get a much better sound that the Samson....I see the mxl 009 got really great reviews on amazon and it is like $250 usd (it's msrp i think is around 400 or 500)....i am just wondering what the best usb condenser for under 500 bucks is...this one seems like the winner to me...am i wrong? right?

Papanate
Jul 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
does anyone have any experience with the mxl 009? I will be upgrading my usb condenser from a samson C01U...and want to get a much better sound that the Samson......i am just wondering what the best usb condenser for under 500 bucks is...this one seems like the winner to me...am i wrong? right?

The specs on the mic are impressive - but your question is very subjective.
Any mic needs to be auditioned for the use you intend it for.

An keep in mind that it won't create anything that is not there - so without hearing you through both mics it is impossible to tell if the MXL or the Samson would work better for you.

Can you post tracks of both?

chris1184
Jul 28, 2011, 10:47 PM
The specs on the mic are impressive - but your question is very subjective.
Any mic needs to be auditioned for the use you intend it for.

An keep in mind that it won't create anything that is not there - so without hearing you through both mics it is impossible to tell if the MXL or the Samson would work better for you.

Can you post tracks of both?

YouTube has examples of the mxl....my mic doesn't sound as good for sure

Papanate
Jul 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
YouTube has examples of the mxl....my mic doesn't sound as good for sure

You absolutely cannot judge a mic from a YouTube video. Even if it does sound okay - there is no critical judgement to be made from that medium.

Not trying to be harsh...trying to save you money and frustration.

chris1184
Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
You absolutely cannot judge a mic from a YouTube video. Even if it does sound okay - there is no critical judgement to be made from that medium.

Not trying to be harsh...trying to save you money and frustration.

no i totally agree with you ...but based on the specs alone compared to my mic i am almost certain it's going to sound a lot better...plus the built in gain and volume knobs are something i do not have and want in my mic....the reviews people gave on amazon pretty much confirm it's a good mic..ill let you guys know after i get it..thank u all for input

Fishrrman
Jul 30, 2011, 11:43 AM
"i am just wondering what the best usb condenser for under 500 bucks is...this one seems like the winner to me...am i wrong? right?"

If you have a budget of $500, in my opinion, you shouldn't be considering ANY "USB"-based microphone.

Rather, you should pick up a decent audio interface, even a used one. It could be USB or firewire, depending on what you have available. IF you have firewire, that is the superior choice. My recommendation is the Echo AudioFire4 (for firewire), but there are many others.

With an interface, you will have a _MUCH_ larger selection of mics from which to choose.

And you can get very respectable performance from mics that don't cost a lot of $$$, if you chose wisely.

Why are you considering only USB-based mics?

chris1184
Jul 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
"i am just wondering what the best usb condenser for under 500 bucks is...this one seems like the winner to me...am i wrong? right?"

If you have a budget of $500, in my opinion, you shouldn't be considering ANY "USB"-based microphone.

Rather, you should pick up a decent audio interface, even a used one. It could be USB or firewire, depending on what you have available. IF you have firewire, that is the superior choice. My recommendation is the Echo AudioFire4 (for firewire), but there are many others.

With an interface, you will have a _MUCH_ larger selection of mics from which to choose.

And you can get very respectable performance from mics that don't cost a lot of $$$, if you chose wisely.

Why are you considering only USB-based mics?

i supposed i thought it's just an easy less cluttered way...and the sound quality is not that bad at all

zimv20
Jul 31, 2011, 11:42 PM
and the sound quality is not that bad at all

????

i thought the point was that you were unhappy with the quality.

i'm with Fishrrman -- for that budget, you should "move beyond" USB mic.

you also can't tell anything from a youtube video or specs. and listening to how someone else used something, at best, can only give you insight that it worked (or didn't work) for that person.

the only way to know for certain is to use the piece itself. second best is to solicit advice from those who have been there. specs cannot tell you what you actually need to know to make a decision.

chris1184
Aug 1, 2011, 09:20 AM
true, u guys are right....the reason the quality isn't that great is because i have an old usb microphone..i am just thinking since i have a microphone that can be purchased for like 60 bucks online, i know that the mxl 009 is going to be way better...im going to go to some stores and test stuff out and see what i like..thank you