PDA

View Full Version : imac g3 rumors and questions.....

comda
Jul 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ok so in my other old thread, i said I recieved an old imac g3, tangerine model. I currently have mac osx 10.2.8 installed and mac os 9.0 on a separate partition. I heard somewhere that the only windows os that could work on a ma was windows nt 4.0 and wanted to ask how to install that? There was a vid on youtube showing a pc witha power pc CPu that ran windows nt. Should the imac read the disk like it is a mac osx disk? I also have some other questions.
I use ares to download music for free and was wondering is there a mac osx app that downloads free music and works with mac osx 10.2.8.
I have a apple airport card inside the imac but heard that it won't work with n base wireless networks. How does that work? is it true or is there a crack that will get the card to connect to my network? The Card find's my network and my neighboors but wont connect.
I have some apps like garage band 1.0 which requires mac osx panther , is there a crack to get it to work on 10.2.8?

my specs are as follows: Apple imac g3 tangerine model
400Mhz powerpc g3 cpu
320 mb of Sd Ram
20Gb hdd (4gb for os 9) and (the rest for mac osx 10.2.8)
dvd rom drive
apple airport card (original card)

I really love this old timer and wish to be able to use it so any help is acceptable.

P.s im using the imac g3 now to type this up on safari v1.0. its great!

KurtangleTN
Jul 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
The only way to run windows is to emulate and that runs extremely slow. Virtual PC did it and a couple of others but it would be basically unusable. Basically forgetta bout it.

The Airport Card is wireless B but if your router does a BGN mixed mode it should work but each router is different. In my personal case to get my original Airport cards connected to my router I did have to change from BGN mixed to BG. Though you will need OS X 10.3 Panther or Tiger to use WPA encryption. WPA2 isn't supported.

There isn't any crack to run programs that require a higher OS, you should probably upgrade to Panther or better yet Tiger.

MAC MAN JW
Jul 28, 2011, 01:35 PM
The only way to run windows is to emulate and that runs extremely slow. Virtual PC did it and a couple of others but it would be basically unusable. Basically forgetta bout it.

The Airport Card is wireless B but if your router does a BGN mixed mode it should work but each router is different. In my personal case to get my original Airport cards connected to my router I did have to change from BGN mixed to BG. Though you will need OS X 10.3 Panther or Tiger to use WPA encryption. WPA2 isn't supported.

There isn't any crack to run programs that require a higher OS, you should probably upgrade to Panther or better yet Tiger.

Yes go to OS X 10.4 i run my 4 imac g3s with tiger and they work very good:)

chrismacguy
Jul 28, 2011, 03:22 PM

That isnt *quite* true. Or at least, not in theory. While its rare and relatively unknown, there was a build of Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC. I know because I used it on an IBM PowerPC-based RS/6000 a few years ago. However the problem with this is that you would have to write the drivers to install NT4PPC onto a iMac (as it doesnt follow the CHRP closely enough to get NT4 to boot). So while not impossible, it certainly isnt feasible, and I would just get a free/cheap (under $10) PC to run Windows on, and stick Tiger on the OPs iMac, as it will run it beautifully.

comda
Jul 30, 2011, 10:21 PM
That isnt *quite* true. Or at least, not in theory. While its rare and relatively unknown, there was a build of Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC. I know because I used it on an IBM PowerPC-based RS/6000 a few years ago. However the problem with this is that you would have to write the drivers to install NT4PPC onto a iMac (as it doesnt follow the CHRP closely enough to get NT4 to boot). So while not impossible, it certainly isnt feasible, and I would just get a free/cheap (under $10) PC to run Windows on, and stick Tiger on the OPs iMac, as it will run it beautifully.

ok what you mean by ops? this is a sad thing i really love my imac, what about giving it a third partition, ubuntu 9,10? i watched vids on youtube? and if i had nt 4 is there a seperate version for ppc or the same disk as for pcs?

Nameci
Jul 31, 2011, 12:01 AM
OPs, or OP's - Original Poster...

MacHamster68
Jul 31, 2011, 01:36 AM
as far as i know windows4.0 was the last that supported PPC , but still it depends how good you are in writing drivers for a operating system that was released nearly 5 years before your iMac

yes it can run ubuntu or any other linux distro if the distro supports PPC

OS9 and OSX tiger will run best , you get for both modern browsers ,clasilla and tenfourfox respectively
but youtube .... if you max out the ram you might eventually be able to watch one or the other video in 240p max and the others as slide shows if you are lucky ..... its just nobody at Apple ever thought about youtube when developing a Mac .. flash is dead said steve html5 is the future
apart from that you can do everything you can do on a modern 2011 iMac i7 , just needs a couple seconds longer for the task and with some minor limitations ;)

i love my little iMac g3's (own now 5 of them ) and would never even think about swapping even one of them them for such a alu box called iMac today , you may ask why , the answer is simple , the iMac G3 looks better and work even ten years after they left the factory , is convection cooled , so way advanced compared to modern Mac's and offer a clear picture and the crt doesnt get smudges inside ;)
btw if you fancy yellow tint like the intel iMac users got ,you can calibrate the display so it shows a yellowish tint , just choose target white point D50 when calibrating the display :D

after all it was the iMac G3 that safed Apple from beeing wiped of the computer manufacturers list , so without the little iMac G3 there would be no iMac's ,MacPro's ,MacBooks or minis or iPads or iphones and certainly no OSX today

comda
Aug 1, 2011, 10:01 AM
ok, when i tried to get ubuntu 9.10 the computer wouldnt even recognize the disk. i know it works because its original shipped from ubuntu. any ideas?

YanniDepp
Aug 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need the PPC version of Ubuntu, which hasn't been officially made for the last 5 years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads