Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyrillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Was trying to set up my brand new macbook air with thunderbolt by transferring my files from my brand new iMac 27'' with thunderbolt and Migration Assistant was only giving me the option to transfer using wifi. Lame, because this would take 14 hours in my case.

Called Apple Support and after a lot of time "checking documentation" the conclusion was: we do not support transferring of files using Thunderbolt as yet. Kidding, right?

I was left very disappointed, but actually found out myself how to do it:

On the iMac: reset it keeping "T" key pressed

Connect iMac and Macbook air using the $40 thunderbolt cable by Apple (no cable no solution other than wireless or an external drive where you have a time machine backup, usb only)

On the Macbook air: run Migration Assistant and ask to transfer files from an external hard drive as it will recognize the iMac as an external hard drive.

It works, but I had to figure it out myself.

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
On the iMac: reset it keeping "T" key pressed

Connect iMac and Macbook air using the $40 thunderbolt cable by Apple (no cable no solution other than wireless or an external drive where you have a time machine backup, usb only)

On the Macbook air: run Migration Assistant and ask to transfer files from an external hard drive as it will recognize the iMac as an external hard drive.

It works, but I had to figure it out myself.

worked brilliantly! thanks for sharing

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
You can also try an ethernet cable if you have a Time capsule. Clearly not as good as Firewire or Thunderbolt cable (well done OP for sharing your finding, very useful) but still faster than wifi. Also if you have a backup of your machine on a USB external hard drive you can use that also. It's also fairly fast.

As a word of warning though, if you are migrating a whole iMac to your Macbook Air, you may find yourself short of space pretty quickly! You could transfer specific users, applications and data as needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.