Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has started a Tiger-related developer mailing list for Quartz Composer which is a "new application/technology in Tiger that allows non-programers to develop graphics processing modules without writing a single line of code, and explore the visual technologies available in Mac OS X without needing to learn the application programming interface (API) for that technology."

A graphing calculator has been included in Mac OS X 10.4 and is called "Grapher". Only a small reference is made on this page describing it: "Create 2D and 3D graphs with this lovely full-featured equation grapher." After the trademark of Graphulator there was speculation that Apple would introduce an application under that name.

Meanwhile, the transition from "Rendezvous" to "Bonjour" appears to have been completed in Tiger. Apple's new Bonjour webpage describing the technology. Apple had to change the name for the zero-configuration technology due to a legal dispute.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
"bonjour"??!? 'sup w/ the french naming convention?

they could have called it "connectulator"... :p

EDIT: i just checked out the Bonjour page. i'm excited about the update, i liked the concept of Rendevous, but it always SOUNDED simpler than it was. i thought that this was one piece that could stand some polish.

from Apple's Bonjour page, "Also, innovative cameras may include wireless networking to download pictures, perfect for spycams." :confused:
that's really a publicized benefit?? "and for all the pervs thinking about switching, here's yet another reason to come to OSX!"

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
The Quartz thingie sounds intriguing...

EDIT: Sorry if the initial post was inappropriate. :eek:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Figured it was a legal issue with Bonjour... I kept looking and looking for what was new and special about it and came up with nothing.

I don't like the Bonjour name as much (kinda silly, really) but I never could spell that R word.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Guess the "Grapher" solves queries about the graphing calculator anyway!...that one all done with then!! Better than "Graphulator" and "iCalc" definately!!..what was that about?!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It seems like the mention of Grapher on the Aqua User Interface page was a slip-up, but perhaps it's not a secret, just a utility held in such little regard that they didn't publicize it as a new feature.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Doctor Q said:
It seems like the mention of Grapher on the Aqua User Interface page was a slip-up, but perhaps it's not a secret, just a utility held in such little regard that they didn't publicize it as a new feature.

Hmm yes...Apples new selling point. "Tiger Unleased. The world's most advanced operating system has just got better. Over 200 new features...but you don't want to know about them!...look at our kewl new calculator!! Isn't it sweet!!"

I think not!!...I agree with you there. But its still a nice feature. A slip up?, interesting! But its good to know its in there!! A lot of people wanted it! Saves on the "Where is Graphulator??" posts!!

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Just yesterday the same page called it "Apple Graphing Calculator."

Oh well... who cares, anyway. :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I wish Apple would have settled the legal dispute and kept the name 'rendezvous'. I always thought it sounded cool.

I guess its not sound business sense to pay a few million dollars just for a name of a technology :/

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
asif786 said:
I wish Apple would have settled the legal dispute and kept the name 'rendezvous'. I always thought it sounded cool.

I kinda like the new name. The heart of the protocol is broadcast DNS, which is a way of saying "hello" and introducing yourself, ergo Bonjour.

Rendezvous was OK, a ad-hoc meeting of two computing devices, but any technology achieves that, so it's less descriptive.

Of course, if they just went with ZeroConf I'd be even happier.

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
and iChat adds Jabber capabilities.

Having looked at the detail of the new features on the Apple website there are a lot of good things in there which for my money are a lot better than the headlines about spotlight and dashboard.

hrashid

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2003
New York/Boston
Bonjour for Windows?

What does the following quote refer to?

"Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005."

What is Apple creating for Windows?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I just hope that now that we have specs on the video cards required for Core Images that we will see updates to the eMac, iBook, and Mac mini lineup with the release of Tiger. Otherwise there might be disappointed consumers.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Doctor Q said:
Has Apple claimed that Tiger has 129 new features for $129? If so, I'd like to review the list.

Actually, they claim 200+ Even more bang for your buck

Up from the 150 claimed for Panther, and gee, remember OS 9? It had "50" new features...

Anyway, you asked for it. Here's the Tiger new feature list. I didn't count them all to verify...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/newfeatures.html

oops..azdude beat me to it

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
hrashid said:
What does the following quote refer to?

"Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005."

What is Apple creating for Windows?

Interestingness...I missed that part! Thanks! :)

EDIT: There are some interesting things on the 200 items list... Preview, of all apps, seems substantially upgraded. It has a lot of Adobe Acrobat full version type of features. Yay! :) And supposedly can open RAWs. :rolleyes:

I don't see NTFS write support or multisession CD burns on the list though....

But a lot of other little interesting things, like mainstreaming GIMP printers (useless to me). 'Twill be fun...*hand moves toward wallet*

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Bonjour is a ridiculous sounding, unprofessional term. I just feel downright silly saying it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chip NoVaMac said:
I may be jaded, but I need a new desktop offering from Apple on desktops to make the leap. Please don;t flame me on this...

I can't flame you, Chip, cuz ya lost me completely. :eek: Are you saying that yoou want to see new hardware to go along with Tiger? Or are you saying Tiger isn't new enough in comparison to Panther?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.