PDA

View Full Version : I will be clean installing Snow Leopard, should I still clean install Lion?

iMikeT
Jul 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
As the title says, I'll be clean installing Snow Leopard on my Mac, should I even bother with clean installing Lion?

I will be partitioning my iMac's hard drive a few different ways and want this to be as clean as possible. Honestly, I would prefer a clean install of Lion but I don't want to go through the hassle of making a bootable DVD or flash drive.

My iMac is a brand new 27" BTO with a 3.4GHz quad-core i7 that was purchased last month. My data was migrated over from my old Mac but wasn't completely happy with how it turned out so I'll be nuking everything on the drive and will migrate everything over after installing Snow Leopard and Lion.

Thoughts?

Quad5Ny
Jul 28, 2011, 01:41 PM
Yes, do the clean install.

If there is nothing on you Mac I would clean install Lion. It only takes 4 min to restore the Lion install DMG to a flash drive (It's about 3.8GB).

iMikeT
Jul 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, do the clean install.

If there is nothing on you Mac I would clean install Lion. It only takes 4 min to restore the Lion install DMG to a flash drive (It's about 3.8GB).

Coming from a Snow Leopard clean install, what's the difference between a clean install of Lion versus installing over Snow Leopard?

Quad5Ny
Jul 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
It's a upgrade. All your files/settings are kept and I'm sure some misc OS scraps are left as well. Other than that there should not be any difference.

Also it probably takes longer to upgrade than clean install.

iMikeT
Jul 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
It's a upgrade. All your files/settings are kept and I'm sure some misc OS scraps are left as well. Other than that there should not be any difference.

Also it probably takes longer to upgrade than clean install.

Ok.

What's this I'm hearing about the Lion installer partitioning the volume it gets installed on?