PDA

View Full Version : Safari is truly awful

vodouman
Jul 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have been monitoring the Lion section of the forum for a while now and a lot of people have been consistently complaining of issues within various parts of Lion and hadn't run into any of them myself - until now.

Within the last hour Safari has crashed on me 8 times in a row, I literally can't use it because it crashes immediately when I run it. Even on restart. I have just got it working again now, I don't know why it has suddenly started working again.

I guess I'll be going back to Chrome again, shame because I gave Safari another chance when Lion first came out and i'd been enjoying using it.

Anyone else with this particular issue?

I'm still loving Lion though, hopefully it'll get better with updates.

Oh, and Safari memory usage is unbelievable.

- Vodouman

SolRayz
Jul 28, 2011, 02:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No crashes with safari yet...but QuickTime X has stooped to a whole new level of unusable.

CapnJackGig
Jul 28, 2011, 02:18 PM
Safari doesn't start to beachball or hang for me until its memory hogging goes up a couple of gig, which itself is an insane problem. What the hell does a browser running one tab need with all of my ram and 2 gigs of my HD space? Ridiculously awful browser. Thank god for Chrome.

mac jones
Jul 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Geesh, I need HELP desperately! I'm going insane.

Scrolling in LION is unbearable. I don't know hat s wrong with it! How could these idiots screw this up so badly. I can't even use it AND THERE'S NO SCROLLING ADJUSTMENT

(ok i'm being dramatic...big deal)

HELP! HELP!!!

petvas
Jul 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have been monitoring the Lion section of the forum for a while now and a lot of people have been consistently complaining of issues within various parts of Lion and hadn't run into any of them myself - until now.

Within the last hour Safari has crashed on me 8 times in a row, I literally can't use it because it crashes immediately when I run it. Even on restart. I have just got it working again now, I don't know why it has suddenly started working again.

I guess I'll be going back to Chrome again, shame because I gave Safari another chance when Lion first came out and i'd been enjoying using it.

Anyone else with this particular issue?

I'm still loving Lion though, hopefully it'll get better with updates.

Oh, and Safari memory usage is unbelievable.

- Vodouman
I am using Safari on Lion for weeks and it never crashed. Are you using extensions? When do these crashes occur? Are you trying to go to a specific website?

harrisondavies
Jul 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
Never had a problem with Safari EVER on any OS X and Windows. People give it bad press, yet it's never let me down, or given me any problems.

I think "truly awful" is over the top. It may have a few issues, but it's never been anything other than slick and does what it says on the tin.

userleen
Jul 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
could you be more specific? I switched scrolling the other way around and it works fine

Geesh, I need HELP desperately! I'm going insane.

Scrolling in LION is unbearable. I don't know hat s wrong with it! How could these idiots screw this up so badly. I can't even use it AND THERE'S NO SCROLLING ADJUSTMENT

(ok i'm being dramatic...big deal)

HELP! HELP!!!

MisterDisney
Jul 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
I've set up 3 machines with Lion now. And I've done the same thing on each. First, unhide the Library folder and put the HDD icon back on the desktop. Switch scrolling back to "normal" and then install Chrome.

Charlie03
Jul 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
The only real problem or more of an annoying thing with safari so far for me has been adblock does not seem to work. Aside from that my experience w/Lion and Safari as a whole has been great. My iMac shuts down faster, boost quicker and every application seems to respond much faster than before. If Safari is causing issues on your machine and you have any extensions running try to remove those and reinstall them that might solve the issue there.

vodouman
Jul 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
I am using Safari on Lion for weeks and it never crashed. Are you using extensions? When do these crashes occur? Are you trying to go to a specific website?

Nope no extensions, it was weird, i've never had a problem like it in all my years of OSX! Been behaving alright since posting this thread but memory consumption is obviously still awful

Never had a problem with Safari EVER on any OS X and Windows. People give it bad press, yet it's never let me down, or given me any problems.

I think "truly awful" is over the top. It may have a few issues, but it's never been anything other than slick and does what it says on the tin.

If you'd have read my post at all you'd have noticed that I had mentioned that I'm not Lion bashing and actually did express that I like it overall.

Just because you're not having issues doesn't mean they don't exist.

I've set up 3 machines with Lion now. And I've done the same thing on each. First, unhide the Library folder and put the HDD icon back on the desktop. Switch scrolling back to "normal" and then install Chrome.

How do you unhide the library folder in the home folder - it's driving me insane!

mac jones
Jul 28, 2011, 04:07 PM
could you be more specific? I switched scrolling the other way around and it works fine

I don't know. It's jerky (very, very, bad)

It's weird. It's unusable, as it's giving me a headache.

I have a new Macbook Air i7. I think it's Lion but I can't be sure. Maybe it's the graphics in the Air, and I'm making a lot of noise in the wrong direction.

If no one else is complaining, it's most likely either a new Air issue, or just my machine.

But all that drama in my post is what it's like. I've never seen anything so distracting.

Of course there's the possibility I have some kind of brain disorder. I imagine it would be sort of like this. (perhaps that would be better) :)

Yumunum
Jul 28, 2011, 04:08 PM

Safari had many problems... And Lion made things way worse. I'd definitely call it truly terrible, but then again, it's subjective.

ntrigue
Jul 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
All of these reports are from SL upgrades to Lion?

I am loving Safari 5.1 on Macbook Air and have had zero crashes.

3bs
Jul 28, 2011, 04:33 PM
All of these reports are from SL upgrades to Lion?

I am loving Safari 5.1 on Macbook Air and have had zero crashes.

Same here. No problems with Safari on my MBA

knarzie
Jul 28, 2011, 04:37 PM
Nope no extensions, it was weird, i've never had a problem like it in all my years of OSX! Been behaving alright since posting this thread but memory consumption is obviously still awful

If you'd have read my post at all you'd have noticed that I had mentioned that I'm not Lion bashing and actually did express that I like it overall.

Just because you're not having issues doesn't mean they don't exist.

How do you unhide the library folder in the home folder - it's driving me insane!

i double clicked on the HDD icon on my desktop. there it was. so i just dragged it back into finder favourites.

BLOND37
Jul 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
last fall i got MBP.. i thought safari would be fast (an apple browser on a mac) well imagine my chagrin to find it was slow.. so a friend told me he uses chrome (ok i'll try it) chrome was sooooo fast..

then lion came out and i tried safari again.. holy cow.. safari is zipity quick and now chrome seems like molasses uphill lol.. and i am still able to have like a ton of other apps/programs open too with no effect on speed or anything for any of them :)

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
I just switched from Firefox to Safari and love it.

There's some gripes about poor extension support.

BLOND37
Jul 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
I just switched from Firefox to Safari and love it.

There's some gripes about poor extension support.

exts not an issue for me as i use so few :0

(you know any good ones?)