PDA

View Full Version : what is kernel_task? <--used up so much ram

dsciel
Jul 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
this task shows in activity monitor and has been used up about 1gb ram... just wondering what it is and what makes it uses so much memory.. with 8gb ram and only safari mainly opened, no such big programs opened and ram were used 3.9gb or something....wondering how Lion will work if i have 4gb.....

rodknocker
Jul 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
this task shows in activity monitor and has been used up about 1gb ram... Just wondering what it is and what makes it uses so much memory.. With 8gb ram and only safari mainly opened, no such big programs opened and ram were used 3.9gb or something....wondering how lion will work if i have 4gb.....

mbp 2011?

dsciel
Jul 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
mbp 2011?

yes~ just bought it recently to replace my 2009 model

Nuckinfuts
Jul 28, 2011, 04:05 PM
this task shows in activity monitor and has been used up about 1gb ram... just wondering what it is and what makes it uses so much memory.. with 8gb ram and only safari mainly opened, no such big programs opened and ram were used 3.9gb or something....wondering how Lion will work if i have 4gb.....

Kernel_task is the process that acts as a layer between your system's software and the computer's hardware. It facilitates process switching on the processor and memory management, among other things.

Mine is running at ~736MB of RAM right now with firefox and spotify going