PDA

View Full Version : Can i put lion on a MBP i am about to sell?

lewys
Jul 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
On the 22nd of june i got an iMac and i was told iwas able to upgrade to lion for free when it was released. I was also told that it could be installed for free on multiple computers.

I am about to sell my old MBP and was thinking of putting lion on there for free before i sell it. I was told i can put it on all my computers for free if i sign in with the iTunes address that i redeemed the code on but what if i sign in with my iTunes on the MBP download lion and when i sell it they use there iTunes account?

does that matter?

btbrossard
Jul 28, 2011, 02:31 PM
Did you use the Up to Date program?

In my understanding, use of that program only allows you to install Lion on the computer for which that program was eligible.

If you purchased Lion in the App Store, you can install it on all your personal computers (up to 10 maybe?). As the MacBook Pro is currently yours, you can install it on there if you want.

In either case, I'm pretty sure the police won't show up at your door.

lewys
Jul 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
I used the up to date thing.
does that mean i can only install it on one computer as in the apple store i was told i can at first but then they wasn't sure when i asked someone else

Epic Xbox Revie
Jul 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
Did you use the Up to Date program?

In my understanding, use of that program only allows you to install Lion on the computer for which that program was eligible.

I used the program for the MBP I bought June 8th, and then made a bootable DVD, and installed on my older iMac. Works fine. I don't think there's a limit with the program.

lewys
Jul 28, 2011, 05:36 PM
sorry for the stupid question but how do i make a bootable dvd of it?

lewys
Jul 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
i know i need the Install Mac OS X Lion app but because i have already installed it and the installer disappeared what should i do?

lewys
Jul 29, 2011, 05:05 AM
anyone?

btbrossard
Jul 29, 2011, 05:15 AM
If you already ran the installer, it deleted itself when it was finished and will need to be downloaded again.

Antowns
Jul 29, 2011, 05:38 AM
If you already ran the installer, it deleted itself when it was finished and will need to be downloaded again.

Yup this is very true, I'd learned the hard way when my sister installed it while I went to the shop. Anyway, on topic, you can install it on as many Macs as you like and there doesn't seem to be a cap on installs through the store. However, you aren't allowed, its only suppose to be installed on the system that you claimed the upgrade for.