PDA

View Full Version : Major cock up after being click happy.. Can anyone help?

oililymad
Jul 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ok, first I know this is my fault!

I upgraded to lion, having first made a sl backup using time machine. That was the sensible part

Then for reasons only known to me, I decided to swap the uses of my external hard drives, and wiped that back up.

Lion- i loved, with one exception, the vnc from my iPad didn't work.

So I thought I'd go back to sl, and wait 'til Apple fixed it.

Insert sl disc, boot from it, wipe hard drive. I thought ( and asked AppleCare) if I could retrieve files/music/apps etc from my lion backup. Seems I was wrong

I can live without most ( but not all) of the stuff on the back up short term.

So what can I do? I want to run snow leopard until Apple sort the vnc issues out.

Can I run sl until then, upgrade to lion, and then retrieve lion back up from time machine?

Is there a way to get my stuff from the lion backup, even if that means restoring from that now, and then rebooting from sl disk in a hard drive partition?

Am currently using a very empty snow leopard

Thanks, and hope you can make sense of this panic!

JRoDDz
Jul 28, 2011, 03:27 PM
You basically wiped your entire hard drive and all your backups. Doesn't look like there's much you can do there.

Patrick J
Jul 28, 2011, 03:29 PM
You are, frankly, screwed.

You can try running one of the many file recovery softwares available.

New reply below.

wesrk
Jul 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
If I read this correctly, you have two (or more) external drives, you made a back up of your SL system, upgraded to Lion, then did another backup to the second external drive and wiped the first external drive (so now the master back up is in external drive number 2), and now that you downgraded to SL again you can't recover the files from the second external drive because it was made with Lion?

I think this is what you were saying, the two posters above me might have read it differently, so, what did you, OP, do exactly?

Patrick J
Jul 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
You are right. I read the post wrongly.

You can just plug in the TM backup drive with the LION backup, navigate through the folder structures and manually bring the documents and settings back into SL.

oililymad
Jul 28, 2011, 04:22 PM
i have a lion back up on an external hard drive using tm
i wiped the sl one.

i have managed to get some apps back, but not any photos, and the only music i can get, is by transferring from my iphone.

the photos i would really really like but i cant open iphoto from the lion backup in time machine.

thanks for your help

Synergie
Jul 28, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well if your Lion backup is not playing nicely with SL, then reinstall Lion, restore your Lion backup to get everything back... then manually copy all your photos, music etc to your external drive (not thru TM as a backup file but the actual files, so you have a copy of them) Then reinstall your SL and copy the files back from the external drive.

Edit: Just as a precaution, I ALWAYS keep a copy of my actual photos to my external drive (1 TB Time Capsule) anyway... that's in addition to the TM backup.... it's just extra insurance for me. Every few weeks or so I copy over any new photos to the external HD to keep it semi up to date.

oililymad
Jul 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
thanks.:)

i just hope Apple sort the vnc issue out very very soon. I cant find one that works.