Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Since my first use of lions a couple of days ago, I always feel something is weird for Lion desktop but I can not tell why. Now I figure out it is the menu bar. The semi-transparency is gone and I can not find the option usually sitting in the Desktop system preferences! Why, apple? Why suddenly take something way without an option after I get used to the semi-transparent menu-bar?

Last edited:

Jakerz

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Atlanta
ejhmoi.jpg

3sdqx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
As Jakerz pointed out, it's still there.

Mine never went away, so it's possible you or someone else (if it's a multi-person Mac) accidentally unchecked the feature.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It was one of the most hideous things Snow Leopard brought, and was extremely happy when they introduced the option to "solidify" it in 10.6.3/4 or so.

And I was happy Lion kept my menu bar solid..

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Weird. That option is missing in my Desktop system preferences.
I am running Lion inside Vmware fusion on my macbook air (10.6.7). I am not sure if that is the reason.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It was one of the most hideous things Snow Leopard brought, and was extremely happy when they introduced the option to "solidify" it in 10.6.3/4 or so.

And I was happy Lion kept my menu bar solid..

Actually, it was brought in on 10.5 Leopard. And the "solidify" was in 10.5.2. Sorry, Apple nerd moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Neill

Mareklug

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Actually, a bug in translucent menu bar in Lion...

...I discovered that my Nature-themed current desktop on the iMac (they change every 5 minutes) had a particularly washed-out translucent menubar. I went to System Preferences for Desktop and Screensaver and toggled (twice) the above-discussed checkbox. That restored a properly more translucent menubar. A bug, right?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Weird. That option is missing in my Desktop system preferences.
I am running Lion inside Vmware fusion on my macbook air (10.6.7). I am not sure if that is the reason.

I think that's the reason. I don't think that os x supports graphical accelerated stuff under virtual machines. Like when your running os x on an hackintosh without graphical driver support.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I have noticed a bug as well, sometimes it seem like the menu bar doesnt change with the background. i have mine set to change every 15 minutes and when I enable the translucent menu bar, it gets stuck on whatever picture is first. annoying.

also, I downloaded the obsidian menu bar. I love it, except.... the date & time are not visible and you have to download a secondary app for that. the battery does show but the percent/time do not.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
People using VMWare Fusion may experience some problems because of the lack of drivers. The option to solidify the menu bar should be there for all Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.