Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReidStylez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
I want to use a montior with my Laptop when I'm at home. How would I use my main monitor as the main screen? Like have the dock and status bar on it?

Or is there a way to make it be the only screen when hooked up?

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I want to use a montior with my Laptop when I'm at home. How would I use my main monitor as the main screen? Like have the dock and status bar on it?

Or is there a way to make it be the only screen when hooked up?

Just go to System Preferences > Displays > detect displays and then you can choose which one you want to be your Main Display.

ReidStylez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Just go to System Preferences > Displays > detect displays and then you can choose which one you want to be your Main Display.

That does nothing. I click detect displays and it just pauses for a second and then does nothing.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If you want your external monitor to be the only one, you can use "clamshell mode" which is where you plug in your monitor, close your MacBook, and wake it up by pressing a key on an external keyboard. This will make it so it will be the only display and will be on even with your MacBook closed.

If you want to use BOTH monitors but still have the external one be your primary one, go to Apple > System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement. Then drag the little white bar to the display you want to be your primary one.

rCsLc.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.