Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oinkcluckmoobah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Cupertino, CA
Looking for advice on which is a better path to take, but the situation is a tiny bit confusing, so bear with me!

A few weeks ago, my 2007 MBP bit the dust and broke down. Luckily, I made regular back ups using time machine, so I should have everything on my external hard drive. I bought a replacement MBP, a refurbished early 2011 15" model, but I bought it just before Lion came out so it's coming with Snow Leopard preinstalled.

I want to install Lion on the computer and move over the files from my other computer, however, I also want to take this opportunity to "clean up" and get a fresh start. That makes me not want to restore absolutely everything on the new MBP and upgrade it to Lion afterward. So which option do you think would be better?

1) Use migration assistant with the time machine back up and move onto the new computer while it's still on Snow Leopard, and then upgrade to Lion.

2) Upgrade to Lion first, and then use migration assistant and move the files.

I haven't used migration assistant before, so I also wanted input on whether or not it makes more sense to move all the apps and delete the ones I don't want, or don't migrate apps and instead just individually move them over from the backup drive (if that's possible without problems). Or if I should just reinstall most of them from scratch.

Any other migration comments much appreciated!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I personally do a fresh install and then plug in my external HDD and just select the parts of my time machine I want copied over e.g my data files and thats it....

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There is no "clean install" option in Lion anymore.

I would get the new machine up to Lion and then use Migration Ass't to move over the stuff. Make sure you use Software Update to get to the latest SL version. My reasoning is that the Migration Ass't for Lion is the latest version and will probably be more efficient at drawing in what you need with Lion.

And then start pruning away what you don't need. I don't know what software you have, but in my experience I found that if I tried to select what got migrated I inevitably screwed up and neglected to move something I should have moved, for instance stuff that integrates Creative Suite applications.

Rob

skorpian23

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Just a FYI, if you purchase Lion via the App Store on your SL machine. You can create a bootable copy of Lion. Just use Google and search for "Create bootable DVD of Mac Lion." I was able to do it and then do a clean install of Lion. It worked just fine. I did a clean install just earlier this week with no issues. I was even able to set up RAID using the Disk Utility from the new Bootable Mac OS X Lion disk before I installed Lion.

Thanks
==================================
Web Hosting and Development www.cs2.com

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Just a FYI, if you purchase Lion via the App Store on your SL machine. You can create a bootable copy of Lion. Just use Google and search for "Create bootable DVD of Mac Lion." I was able to do it and then do a clean install of Lion. It worked just fine. I did a clean install just earlier this week with no issues. I was even able to set up RAID using the Disk Utility from the new Bootable Mac OS X Lion disk before I installed Lion.

Thanks
==================================
Web Hosting and Development www.cs2.com

+1
i did a clean install on lion on all my macs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.