Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keano2416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Hey guys, really strange problem I am continuously having since installing Lion.

Works fine throughout -- then all of a sudden, something like Safari or Chrome crashes, and sound stops working after that.

And I don't just mean sound on YouTube or elsewhere on the web -- but Lion loses the ability to play any sound at all, be it on a website or an mp3 file on my hard disk.

Not like my sound icons are greyed-out either -- volume up and down works fine but to no avail.

To fix it I have to restart the OS every time which is very annoying as you can imagine.... anyone else have this problem? Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

Keano2416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
BUMP.

Any ideas? Still going (in fact, I am in the "media-less" state right now on Lion). Very annoying, any help at all would be wonderful.

xyroclast

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem, and no one's been able to help me yet.
I'm relieved to find someone else having the same issue.
What model is your Mac?
I'm on a newer iMac Quad Core

Keano2416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I'm using a late 2008 MacBook Pro. Good to know (!) that someone else has this issue too. Really is quite annoying.

Keano2416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Issue still going on. Has anyone else experienced this, or know how to solve this problem?

Funny thing is, I can still play songs off my iPod on iTunes, but sound on a browser or from other media players does not work!!

WTF Apple.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey guys, really strange problem I am continuously having since installing Lion.

Works fine throughout -- then all of a sudden, something like Safari or Chrome crashes, and sound stops working after that.

And I don't just mean sound on YouTube or elsewhere on the web -- but Lion loses the ability to play any sound at all, be it on a website or an mp3 file on my hard disk.

Not like my sound icons are greyed-out either -- volume up and down works fine but to no avail.

To fix it I have to restart the OS every time which is very annoying as you can imagine.... anyone else have this problem? Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

When audio crashes, does the icon get grayed out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.