PDA

View Full Version : Can't see menu bar items

ecking
Jul 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
I had a really difficult time installing Lion, I downloaded it 5 or 6 times and kept getting a different MD5 than the file was supposed to be and it wouldn't install. It would always tell me it became corrupted when downloaded and was unreadable.
It downloaded and installed on my girlfriends computer without a hitch so I made both a bootable dvd and usb key from her installer to use to install Lion on my computer (a 2010 13" MacBook Pro) and every time I'd get "Can't download additional components need to install Mac OS X" So what I did was put her installer on a fw hard drive and run it from there and it worked! Now I've got Lion!

Only now for some reason I'm not seeing the icons on the right side of my menu bar and other certain buttons in the interface. I've attached a picture for you guys to see.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2800/screenshot20110728at833.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/screenshot20110728at833.png/)

I can't reinstall Lion because I always get "Can't download additional components need to install Mac OS X" when running the installer. When I try to use the snow leopard disk that came with my macbook pro it won't work for some reason I get "Install Failed" so I can't really wipe this install.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I can't tell my volume or battery life at all!

fisherking
Jul 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
a couple of things:
the obvious one is, did you check the system prefs? to see if "show wifi in menubar" "battery in menubar" are checked (altho i see no spotlight icon...).

possibly.. your mac is NOT the same as your GF's, and your installation needs may be different.

did u think to actually download & install Lion directly to you mac?
just seems you're trying all these workarounds, instead of installing directly...

anyone else? (hey, i'm just speculating here...)

xraydoc
Jul 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
Your Lion installation is most likely corrupt. Possibly due to errors pre-existing on your hard drive (the reason for the corrupted downloads - they would corrupt when saved to the HD).

I suggest backing up all your data, low-level formatting the hard drive, doing a hard drive verification with Disk Utility and then a clean install of Lion.