Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I installed Lion just about when it came out, but since a few days ago (around 3-4) I've been coming up on periodic freezing of my computer seemingly at random moments which forces me to hard reset. Along with that problem seemed to be a more frequent Wi-Fi dropping but I'm fairly certain they're unrelated.

I have reset my PRAM, SMC controller, and though this freezing does not seem to occur in safe mode (as far as I can tell), it may be every five hours to every five minutes after a hard restart that my computer will just "freeze". I'm pretty sure it's not a kernel panic either, as it almost seems like my computer will get stuck in some sort of loop.

For example: while playing a video and my computer freezes, the sound from that part will keep repeating that 1s or so when it froze, everything else is unresponsive. I've been trying to narrow down the problems to possible application compatibilities, but nothing seems consistent. I did forget to install 10.6.8 so I cannot exclude that from the possibility which is causing this... (This is distinct from the Flash problem as this occurs any time.)

I have also run Disk Utility and repaired permissions, along with some Onyx maintenance scripts but nothing has helped to solve the problem.

Very desperate for help at this point... I'm using a late '08 unibody MBP. Thank you.

aManEatMyPhone

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Near NYC.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. I have not come across this issue myself, but I hear your desperation. I recommend that you call up Apple. I can tell that you may not have Apple Care, but that is okay. They'll help you anyway considering that you recently purchased OSX Lion.

One thing I recommend is backing up your MBP and delete a lot of files. Have at least 20-30 Gigs available and make sure to run one or two processes at a time.

Hope to see that your computer does not crash anymore!

DICKNPHYL

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2011
lollerpants--freezes ?

how much ram do you have ? It plays a big part in the operation of everything. also, are you sure you have enough space for the sys. and everything else that you have on your h.d. These are just some thoughts of mine.
Dickster-----

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I have 4 GB RAM, on my iStat it's been fine usually with a good amount free...I also keep ~150 GB HD space free.

I also did run verify and returned with no errors.

At this point I left it on over night without any crashes and I'm starting to believe it might be quicksilver causing the crashes... but I'm not sure yet...

Anyone else have any recommendations?

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Hi Cat Empire, the problem is this doesn't occur just with videos. It's a sporadic freezing that was occurring regardless of what was running until I figured that if safe mode was running fine it must have been some start up app that I had that wasn't in safe mode.. so far the culprit looks like it's quicksilver but I'm not entirely sure yet.. I'm almost on 20 hours no freeze yet though so hopeful that it was!

Trdinput

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Covina
The biggest and best.

We all go out and get the biggest and best and hope the wheel goes round and round (Well not so with a Mac I guess).
We buy a computer with an OS completely installed and decide that it's not the biggest and best. Our nature tells us that if we install the same OS that the best machine has, well than we'll have the best again, not so.

That computer was designed around a new chipset with that shiney new OS. I know this because I am an over clocker myself. I take 400 MHz g4 and turn them into 1.6 ghz machines running Leopard, the only problem is that I have intermittent freezes and the newest version of safari doesn't run without crashing every 10 seconds, it's got to be Macs fault right...wrong! That new chipset that I was talking about, comes in the form of a new/used video card. I use a used ati radeon pro 9000 and all my problems go away every single time. Find the latest and greatest used (because the machine is old now) video card that is compatible with your machine and I bet your problems go away. I'm just sayin'.

I installed Lion just about when it came out, but since a few days ago (around 3-4) I've been coming up on periodic freezing of my computer seemingly at random moments which forces me to hard reset. Along with that problem seemed to be a more frequent Wi-Fi dropping but I'm fairly certain they're unrelated.

I have reset my PRAM, SMC controller, and though this freezing does not seem to occur in safe mode (as far as I can tell), it may be every five hours to every five minutes after a hard restart that my computer will just "freeze". I'm pretty sure it's not a kernel panic either, as it almost seems like my computer will get stuck in some sort of loop.

For example: while playing a video and my computer freezes, the sound from that part will keep repeating that 1s or so when it froze, everything else is unresponsive. I've been trying to narrow down the problems to possible application compatibilities, but nothing seems consistent. I did forget to install 10.6.8 so I cannot exclude that from the possibility which is causing this... (This is distinct from the Flash problem as this occurs any time.)

I have also run Disk Utility and repaired permissions, along with some Onyx maintenance scripts but nothing has helped to solve the problem.

Very desperate for help at this point... I'm using a late '08 unibody MBP. Thank you.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
We all go out and get the biggest and best and hope the wheel goes round and round (Well not so with a Mac I guess).
We buy a computer with an OS completely installed and decide that it's not the biggest and best. Our nature tells us that if we install the same OS that the best machine has, well than we'll have the best again, not so.

I'm not quite sure what your point is, but is sounds something like telling us that we should not try to upgrade our OS on our older hardware that Apple officially supports on the new OS, and instead buy new hardware every time the OS comes around.

I counter your claim that it is not Apple's fault with a claim that if they are offering support for the hardware, and the new OS is causing a number of systems to freeze (mine being one of them), then it is likely a fault in the OS, maybe caused by poorly written hardware drivers, or some other software issue.

Mine freezes up at random times, with no real correlation to anything that I am doing at that moment. It may operate for a couple days without issue, and then freeze up 5-6+ times in a row. Usually at this point, I boot SL off my USB drive and swear that I am kicking Lion off my MBP. But, then I boot again from the internal drive, and everything it good again.

Honestly, I should know better. I deal with software all the time where it plays a critical role in our company's ability to deliver service to our customers. We never, EVER accept a R1 release. We will almost always wait for a R3, if not a R4, just to let the vendor work out their bugs. Every time we have to look at a R1 in the lab, it just wastes out time due to bugs. It seems that Apple is really no better.

-jt2

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Just wanted an update for anyone who might still be interested...

After the 10.7.1 release my Wi-Fi problem temporarily fixed itself... for two days. Even after another few PRAM and SMC resets, my Wi-Fi problem has returned to the problems on the .0 release. Furthermore, this came with the freezing problem again, though with no real correlation either... I had thought it might have been a flash video problem, but it has randomly crashed a few more times today.

I'm hoping these problems go away by the next release as I cannot afford to use something that keeps crashing every two days. If not this computer is kind of useless as I do not know if this is a HD or hardware problem that has developed recently, or if it's just a software problem.

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
What machine are you running Lion on?
My 2011 MBP 17" freezes every 3rd or so time it switches back to the integrated graphics card. Everything's fine on my mid-2010 iMac.

If you can reproduce the freezing issue by repeatedly opening and quitting PhotoBooth, then we have the same problem.
In that case, as a temporary "fix" (if going back to SL is not an option) you could install gfxCardStatus and force your machine to use either the integrated or
the discrete card only.

I've filed a bug report with Apple about this, back when Lion was GM, and they've asked me to send in some additional log files which I did, but I haven't heard anything from them since.

I went back to 10.6.8 on my MBP and all is well again. Not one single problem (and that one is my work horse).

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I'm on a 2008 unibody MBP, and I've been keeping it on the discrete card so that seems like it's out of solution :\.

lollerpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I've actually clean installed completely to 10.6 now. When I was installing it, my wifi was picked up and it detected my network, however now it seems I am getting the no airport card detected, leading me to believe that this is now a hardware issue... unfortunately, I think my lifetime on this laptop is coming to an end. I can connect with ethernet but without any wireless is almost useless for me.

The last option I have now is to try Boot Camping and seeing if it's possible that my Wifi card still works on the Windows partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.