Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
It does have some nice features and looks prettier but it's buggy as hell. Here's what I've experienced.

1. Hate the default settings. Can't get used to the "natural" scrolling and the default settings in finder.

2. AFP and SMB compatibility issues. Right when you install this you get this rude awakening when you can't login to your NAS drives. Luckily there is a workaround for this stupid problem. http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

3. Screensaver randomly starts. Right at the login screen, a random screensaver just starts out of nowhere. When you don't touch the computer for a split second, it could start. Or sometimes, you walk away for 5 minutes, it starts! It's got a mind of it's own!!! Deleting the screensaver plist in the Library directory sort of fixed it. Still acts randmly but not as bad (knock on wood).

I remember when I went from Leopard to Snow, it didn't have this many problems!

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I only read up to number 1 and figured your next 2 posts would be just as idiotic. Vista wasn't bad because it defaulted to the 'wrong options'. thats why they are CHANGEABLE. they have to be set to something in the first place.

JUST CHANGE THE SETTING!'

EDIT: just read the next two, and i havent been experiencing any of those issues.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The first and second item in your list are not bugs. That leaves the third item on the list. I don't see how you are calling a single issue "buggy as he'll".

Last edited by a moderator:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Sounds like the TS is more buggy than the OS itself! I haven't had any bugs or issues at all. Is it me or ppl are just insane about bugs? I just spend more time in settings preference to make the mac suitable to my work environment.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No. Not even close.

Granted it's not a revolutionary change to the Mac OS, just mildly evolutionary. But so far its been perfectly stable for me on 4 different machines and doesn't nag the user like Vista did.

Vista's big problems were with app compatibility, hardware compatibility and user nag-ware.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
There are some actual bugs, and they will likely (hopefully) be fixed as soon as they roll out 10.8.1, which I hope is in the next couple of weeks.

As for the scrolling problem, just uncheck Natural Scrolling in settings.

But no, this is not Apple's Vista. To be Apple's Vista, Lion would have to not support most printers, most video cards, most drivers for other hardware, crash apps randomly, have MANY different apps not be compatible with the OS, period (and I'm not talking about Rosetta/PPC apps, Vista had major compatibility problems with then-current software).

In short, Vista was a complete nightmare for the first year of it's existence. It took MS about a year to fix most of those issues, but at that point they turned their attention to Windows 7 and screwed over anyone who had purchased Vista. I have friends with Vista machines, had 2 myself, and those were some of the major reasons that eventually drove me to a Mac.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
You can only come up with 3 issues and now all the sudden OS X Lion is comparable to Windows Vista, wow.

So Data loss is not a bigger issue then your Screensaver randomly starting?

Apple acknowledges Snow Leopard data loss issue
For the past month, some Mac OS X users have been reporting their personal data missing after logging into their guest accounts, and Apple now says it's working on finding a fix.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10373064-260.html#ixzz1TTKOwS5d

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
OK hear me out here: I'd say the Vista comparison is apt, but not for the reasons that everyone thinks.

Vista was a shift for Windows, and required users to adapt to some new ways of doing things. Lion is much the same--something of a departure from prior Mac OS X versions that requires users to adapt to some significant changes.

This, of course, doesn't mean Lion is going to be a massive failure in the marketplace like Vista is--the early sales numbers suggest that it won't be. And this doesn't mean that Lion is bad--that isn't true either. But Vista was a shift and Lion is a shift. That's where the Vista-Lion comparison lies, IMO.

Last edited:

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I'd say the Vista comparison is apt, but not for the reasons that everyone thinks (hear me out before hitting that down-vote button!). Vista was a shift for Windows, and required users to adapt to some new ways of doing things. Lion is much the same--something of a departure from prior Mac OS X versions that requires users to adapt to some significant changes.

Thats certainly not why Vista was considered an utter failure

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
OK hear me out here: I'd say the Vista comparison is apt, but not for the reasons that everyone thinks.

Vista was a shift for Windows, and required users to adapt to some new ways of doing things. Lion is much the same--something of a departure from prior Mac OS X versions that requires users to adapt to some significant changes.

This, of course, doesn't mean Lion is going to be a massive failure in the marketplace like Vista is--the early sales numbers suggest that it won't be. And this doesn't mean that Lion is bad--that isn't true either. But Vista was a shift and Lion is a shift. That's where the Vista-Lion comparison lies, IMO.

Vista operated the exact same as XP except many programs didn't work or they worked poorly. The OS also had that annoying UAC enabled by default. Besides that, Vista was just a shinier and more transparent version of XP.

siwsan

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
There are some actual bugs, and they will likely (hopefully) be fixed as soon as they roll out 10.8.1

You are absolutely right. We should skip Lion and wait for iOS XI 10.8.

And yes, Lion is Apple's Vista. The "Back to the Mac" slogan simply doesn't apply to reality.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
At least my applications didn't break after Lion upgrade (yes, all of the software that I commonly use still works), unlike Vista which had a plethora of driver and software incompatibility. That's solved by now but upgrade to 7 if you're still running Vista.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I cannot tell how many times I smile when ppl have posted: Leopard is Apple’s vista, Snow Leopard is Apple’s vista.

It would be just natural for the continuation to happen with Lion…

Antowns

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Not really, there's a bug in Safari at the minute which is causing it to hinder the overall performance of the system. Once it gets fixed I'm sure it'll be fine. Though I'm using it on a Mid-2010 i5 MBP so I'm not sure how it affects the older systems.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Vista is, and has always been, a poor comparison. Vista was extremely buggy and slow, you could even call it unusable. However, Lion is mostly a very stable OS. Sure, there are some bugs but that is always the case with .0 release. 10.7.1 should be out fairly soon though, SP1 took ages to come for Vista.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Since Apple prides iteself on offering computers to the non-computer literate, I think Lion is absolutely the Windows Vista of the Mac world.

So, so many issues and you have to be computer literate to resolve them. Drivers not working, programs not running, 64 bit clobbering stuff....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This same question/thread came up with Snow Leopard when it was first released.

MS over promised and under delivered Vista. It was bloated, a bit buggy, slow and few real new features after 5 years worth of work.

Lion has many new features, its a bit bloated, but it appears to run rather fast but is buggy.

In the end Microsoft fixed vista but the damage was done, the perception that Vista was a poor OS was ingrained in business and consumers alike,

So the question is, how is the perception of Lion, while Apple has stated 1 million downloads, how are the normal consumers viewing this? Many people here love it here, but also many people here have rolled back to SL for one reason or another. I'm not sure MacRumor's population qualifies as normal consumers ;)

Last edited:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Since Apple prides iteself on offering computers to the non-computer literate, I think Lion is absolutely the Windows Vista of the Mac world.

So, so many issues and you have to be computer literate to resolve them. Drivers not working, programs not running, 64 bit clobbering stuff....

Most non computer literate people will not be running the variety of software/hardware that all the people with problems are having. And more than likely the non literate will not even know that there is an OS upgrade. Vista is not even a relative comparison.

spt

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
It does have some nice features and looks prettier but it's buggy as hell. Here's what I've experienced.

1. Hate the default settings. Can't get used to the "natural" scrolling and the default settings in finder.

I think this is just a matter of what you're used to. If you don't wan't to try it, just turn it off. I do agree though that it may have been wiser to have the old default.

2. AFP and SMB compatibility issues. Right when you install this you get this rude awakening when you can't login to your NAS drives. Luckily there is a workaround for this stupid problem. http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

This is due to improvements in the OS that are incompatible with some non-apple implementations of Appletalk. After I fixed my Linux based NAS and Time Machine, I found responsiveness to have improved quite a lot.

3. Screensaver randomly starts. Right at the login screen, a random screensaver just starts out of nowhere. When you don't touch the computer for a split second, it could start. Or sometimes, you walk away for 5 minutes, it starts! It's got a mind of it's own!!! Deleting the screensaver plist in the Library directory sort of fixed it. Still acts randmly but not as bad (knock on wood).

It seems you may have been a bit unfortunate, though a screensaver problem doesn't seem to be that important...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.