PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of iPhone 5 Design Mockups

MacRumors
Jul 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/a-couple-of-iphone-5-design-mockups/)

After the release (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/26/new-case-designs-revive-unlikely-iphone-5-design/) of the purported iPhone 5 design document, we've had a couple of submissions of possible mockups of what the iPhone 5 might look like. We don't normally indulge the purely speculative mockups, the recent rumors have given us some guidance as what the iPhone 5 might look like.

The first comes from MacRumors user bikr who tried to closely approximate the document, with a tapered design and elongated home button.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/mock-500x280.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/mock.jpg)
The design has a slightly sloping taper to it from top to bottom, reminiscent of the MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, CiccareseDesign (http://www.ciccaresedesign.com/?page_id=260) has created their own mockup but was a little more free with their design choices. They retained the top-to-bottom taper, but ignored some of the other elements. They call this the "iPhone Air".

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/iPhone-Air-05-500x375.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/iPhone-Air-05.jpg)A few of the other images (http://www.ciccaresedesign.com/?page_id=260) show that the designer took some liberties, retaining the squared off design of they Phone 4. Obviously, this is not likely to be predictive of what the actual iPhone 5 might look like.

Article Link: A Couple of iPhone 5 Design Mockups (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/a-couple-of-iphone-5-design-mockups/)

shartypants
Jul 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
The first one looks pretty cool, I would buy it! But somehow I doubt it will be that thin. If they do put in the dual core, its going to need all the battery it can get, I would imagine.

Caliber26
Jul 29, 2011, 01:26 AM
I live!

Each year, I get so excited just by looking at mockups! Sometimes the anticipation and suspense are more enjoyable than anything, and Steve's unveiling is the climax.

Please keep 'em coming!! I feel like a 13 year-old boy again!

With that said, I think the "iPhone Air" actually looks pretty cool, with exception of the edge-to-edge screen. Otherwise, I'm likin everything else about it. That first one reminds me of the one mockup that's been floatin around these forums for the last two years. I'm over it already.

Daforce
Jul 29, 2011, 01:26 AM
But somehow I doubt it will be that thin. If they do put in the dual core, its going to need all the battery it can get, I would imagine.

i dont think thats the problem here...A5 is smaller than the A4 chip if i am not mistaken so there is more room for battery..maybe an increase too..(think the ipad 2 example)

captain kaos
Jul 29, 2011, 01:32 AM
I like the 1st one, i dont think they could get the screen that close to the edge for the 2nd. But realistically they won't be anything like this. Unless stevie has come up with a magical way to power the iphone there is no way you can have an A5 cpu and the battery to power it for more that 10 minutes in either of these designs, or anything close to it.

nagromme
Jul 29, 2011, 01:39 AM
I donít believe any of it :p But I have to say: nice detailed rendering work! Good jobs.

BillyBobBongo
Jul 29, 2011, 02:03 AM
First one looks nice...the second one is terrible. I can't believe people keep referencing that mockup!

malias4
Jul 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
I also like a lot the first one! If i get the 5 anyway a d buy it in white because i have the black iphone4 now:eek: lets wait and see wat comes from steve !

stanluca
Jul 29, 2011, 02:15 AM
like I'm living a Teenage Dream!

nathanjbrown
Jul 29, 2011, 02:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I have a hard time buying the tapered design. Holding the phone in portrait would be fine, but in landscape it would feel lopsided; out of balance and, therefore, out of the norm for an Apple product. When the iPhone 4 was released, engadget likened it's weight and construction to a Leica camera. A lofty claim! When I got my hands on mine, I completely agreed. The fit and finish - the feel of it in hand - was superb. That tapered design would be a step in the wrong direction.

baryon
Jul 29, 2011, 02:55 AM
These mockups are really nice, which is a rare thing. However, I don't think technology is advanced/cheap enough to allow for such thin and borderless designs just yet. I'm sure that one day, the iPhone will indeed resemble one these mockups, but I doubt that would be in September. More like in 2 years!

hleewell
Jul 29, 2011, 03:38 AM
The first metallic grey design looks amazing. Instant Buy !
The model with tapered sides - on the other hand - is pure ugliness, LOL!!

the8thark
Jul 29, 2011, 04:07 AM
Design Mockups?

Is there not enough (might be true) rumours out there that you have to write articles on (totally wrong/fake) rumours?

icstoo
Jul 29, 2011, 05:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I have a hard time buying the tapered design. Holding the phone in portrait would be fine, but in landscape it would feel lopsided; out of balance and, therefore, out of the norm for an Apple product. When the iPhone 4 was released, engadget likened it's weight and construction to a Leica camera. A lofty claim! When I got my hands on mine, I completely agreed. The fit and finish - the feel of it in hand - was superb. That tapered design would be a step in the wrong direction.

I agree. If it is too tapered then presumably the weight distribution would be uneven, with the top being heavier than the bottom. This would probably be awkward if you were holding the phone and typing in one hand.

IC

res1122
Jul 29, 2011, 05:44 AM
Very nicely pictures settled. I like it due to informative data.

NightFox
Jul 29, 2011, 06:14 AM
I know a lot of people are getting really excited about the prospects of a wall-to-wall screen, but personally I find it just looks so aesthetically wrong in the mockups that have surfaced so far; I'd even go as far as to say ugly. Each to their own I guess!

Liquinn
Jul 29, 2011, 06:17 AM
If it looks anything like that I won't buy it.

Thex1138
Jul 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Can this dinky little touch panel around the home button really do ?
:rolleyes:

M-O
Jul 29, 2011, 06:30 AM
i dont think thats the problem here...A5 is smaller than the A4 chip if i am not mistaken so there is more room for battery..maybe an increase too..(think the ipad 2 example)

actually the A5 is much larger. almost double the size of the A4.

jtwurth
Jul 29, 2011, 06:57 AM

I have to agree with njb here. I'm not saying it's out of realm of possibility but the taper design in landscape would appear to create an off balancing effect and we all know how big Jobs is on 'how something feels'.

I still use my 3Gs and look forward to the iPhone 5, whatever it's design. Personally I'm hoping for something similar to the first mockup but without the tapered design. I would be pretty darn happy with rounded edges, aluminum back, and symmetry like in the iPad2.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
Given how little definitive information we have this year, I have determined the sad reality:

Apple isn't bothering to make an iPhone 5. Seriously, thats the only way they could manage to keep it under wraps so long.

Yeah, I'm just kidding. Still, they're doing a phenomenal job keeping this one secret... I hope they really make it worth it...

tjnga
Jul 29, 2011, 08:03 AM
Nope! I don't believe I would be buying that design. The wedge shape looks too much like a doorstop for my liking!

myrtlebee
Jul 29, 2011, 08:03 AM
I'm sorry- I've worked in design for years and the second mockup is simply not practical. The weight distribution would be a nightmare- in both portrait and landscape. The thing would be entirely top-heavy and extremely awkward to hold (for a few seconds, let alone an entire phone conversation). Forget gaming.

The first is a bit more subtle and practical, but still would not be optimal for a phone by any means.

itsmemuffins
Jul 29, 2011, 08:07 AM
Qwerty! Qwerty! Qwerty! Qwerty!

No! No! No! No!

Clive At Five
Jul 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
Honestly, I don't see the appeal in an edge-to-edge screen. My fingers - whist grasping my iPhone - already give erroneous touch signals, and I can only imagine that would be amplified in an edge-to-edge design.

Otherwise, yeah, nice mock-ups!

-Clive

(Seriously, why would anyone [-1] this?)

akaralias
Jul 29, 2011, 08:25 AM
The first one looks pretty cool, I would buy it! But somehow I doubt it will be that thin. If they do put in the dual core, its going to need all the battery it can get, I would imagine.

Oh, yew, they could make it that thin, but they have to redesign the headphones jack or go strictly for a wireless handsfree set...

bigjnyc
Jul 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
I think if the next iPhone looked like this I would

A) have to wash my underwear

B) Proceed to my nearest Apple store and buy 2 one in black and one in white

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/iPhone-Air-05-500x375.jpg

h1r0ll3r
Jul 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
Although it looks like a dolled up iPod Touch, I rather like the first mock up. The second one just doesn't look right at all.

NightFox
Jul 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry- I've worked in design for years and the second mockup is simply not practical. The weight distribution would be a nightmare- in both portrait and landscape. The thing would be entirely top-heavy and extremely awkward to hold (for a few seconds, let alone an entire phone conversation). Forget gaming.

The first is a bit more subtle and practical, but still would not be optimal for a phone by any means.

I'm no fan of this 'wedge' design (second one looks like a 70's LED desktop calculator), but why does everyone keep mentioning the weight distribution? Just because a bit of the phone might be fatter doesn't mean it has to be heavier surely? I'm guessing that the components that make up an iPhone vary considerably in their density.

jayducharme
Jul 29, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm not a fan of the wedge design. I find the dock connector on my iPad 2 a pain to use because of that tapered edge. I always have trouble seating the charging cable and the HDMI dongle because it doesn't sit flush against the device. If Apple were to finally implement wireless connecting, then they could make the iPad the thickness of a piece of paper and it wouldn't bother me.

skellener
Jul 29, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't think it can be thinner than the 30pin connector guys. You still have to charge it.

That is unless it has that inductive charging - but any time I've seen that, it requires an add on that is thicker that the current iPhone. Guess we'll find out in Sept.

RyanG
Jul 29, 2011, 09:32 AM

Had to -1 this. The design, besides being impractical, is down-right ugly.

Vertigo50
Jul 29, 2011, 09:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope the tapered back rumor is true. I am not a big fan of the flat back on the iPhone 4. After a while the edges feel "sharp" in my hand.

Caliber26
Jul 29, 2011, 10:17 AM

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/iPhone-Air-05-500x375.jpg)

Glad someone else agrees with me! I'm not sure why some on here are concerned about weight distribution. I'm sure the innards can be situated so that the bulk of the weight isn't one side.

PS: Your signature about car insurance has been my first literal "LOL" moment of the week. I think I'm gonna go post that on Twitter now.

bigjnyc
Jul 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Had to -1 this. The design, besides being impractical, is down-right ugly.

lol well its my opinion that it looks sexy sorry... I wasn't delving into design and logistics... just simply reacting to the look of the mock-up. I appreciate your opinion though and will not -1 you just because it differs from mine.

toddybody
Jul 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt kick it out of bed for eating crackers...that said, keep the physical home button. Stay well MR friends;)

nylonsteel
Jul 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
jury is still out if i like these mockups
edge2edge screen is cool though
anyway a new ip5 would be good as long as the ip4 will be sold at much lower prices and service plans

bikr
Jul 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
Some important notes here..

I was asked for a iPhone 5 mockup that resembled the cad drawings that were released, from the iphone 5 case rumor.

I didn't conceptualize this design at all, nor did I submit this to MacRumors unsolicited.

I was approached by MacRumors for a mockup, and I provided a really early, trivial piece I was working on personally. I was told that a few of the details didn't match, and I offered to revise it and make it match the CAD drawings more precisely. The image you see is what resulted..

I'm a little perturbed that the article made it seem like I sent these in as original concepts and unsolicited.. Not nearly what happened..

http://img.skitch.com/20110727-njddner2cgfswcf42dd8jgb2ge.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/bikr/fcgkx/keyshot-2.1-pro-floating-license-untitled.bip-64-bit)

Click for large view (http://skitch.com/bikr/fcgkx/keyshot-2.1-pro-floating-license-untitled.bip-64-bit)

quinney
Jul 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
It's the new iPhone Shim.

Darwing
Jul 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sigh... No comment it's going to be the same design, and called iphone4s. If they were doing design or major hardware updates they would have unveiled it at wwdc

winston1236
Jul 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
edge to edge screen is the way to go

epiciphonehack
Jul 30, 2011, 02:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've seen the first concept alot of times! I hope that's a good sign haha.

itsalexaye
Jul 30, 2011, 08:02 PM
I wouldnt want a phone that gets skinnier as it hits the bottom of the phone. it looks weird and probably hard to handle. Especially for as much as I use my iPhone.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO
Aug 5, 2011, 04:37 PM
i want it to be thinner with bigger screen. hopefully with 4g services ?:rolleyes:

ipodtouchguy123
Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
these mock ups could definately be true. i would prefer a 4 in. screen and maybe a touch sensitive home button. also i strongly feel that there will be am apple A5 chip into it and maybe come out with a 4g LTE version as well.

seysearles
Nov 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
I find it strange that I received a warning and had my message deleted for supposedly posting a 'useless one word post' (see forum rule below), when I said "Qwerty! Qwerty! Qwerty! Qwerty!" (playfully expressing that I hoped iphone 5 has a QWERTY keyboard).

Meanwhile, No! No! No! No! which is not only shorter but uses the same rhetoric as my original comment is allowed.

Perhaps that could be explained so that we understand the board rules better.

The specific reason I was given was:

"Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted."