PDA

View Full Version : Macbook + Lion / RAM Upgrade?

moonchilddave
Jul 29, 2011, 06:25 AM
I have an Early 2008 Macbook 4,1 2.1G C2D:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.1-white-13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

I currently have 4G RAM installed and it's my understanding that this model can take 6G max. Has that changed at all with Lion? With the increased memory requirements of Lion, I'm considering upgrading my memory - but if I can actually go to 8G, that would be preferable.

I do a fair amount of audio & video processing... Sound Studio 4 & iMovie/iDVD.

RunnyCustard
Jul 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
apparently being helpful is considered a bad thing nowadays. I wont apologise as I'm sure that would be considered even worse.

moonchilddave
Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 AM
Anyone? trying to figure out if I should order 6G or 8G... If 8G won't work with Lion, I'd rather not spend the extra cash.

RafaelT
Jul 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
My 08' MBP has 2GB of ram and Lion is running just fine for basic tasks. 4 should be plenty.

RunnyCustard
Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 PM

r3vo714
Jul 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
is my text invisible?
which bit of working fine on 4gb not making sense?

The fact he is asking if his macbook can take 8gb or not. How about you re-read the OPs post before replying. Reading comprehension > you

soundguy15
Jul 30, 2011, 11:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Most likely 6GB is still the max as this is a hardware constraint and not a software constraint, so Lion probably didn't change anything. If you feel like you need more RAM then go ahead and upgrade :)

Potatochobit
Jul 31, 2011, 03:09 AM
on a normal computer it would be a hardware constraint

but since we are talking about MACs its a bios constraint done on purpose
same reason your mac doesnt have 5.1 sound/out or a bluray player

sadly, I do not know if lion is compatible with with 8GB upgrade
I think it should be, since it was apple that updated EFI firmware on the original unibodies to work in snow leopard with the 8GB earlier this year

Quad5Ny
Jul 31, 2011, 05:43 AM
Secret Firmware Update Lets Late '08 MacBooks/Pros Use 8GB of RAM - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1109412

RunnyCustard
Aug 1, 2011, 03:12 AM
The fact he is asking if his macbook can take 8gb or not. How about you re-read the OPs post before replying. Reading comprehension > you

he was also asking if Lion would work on a lower ram amount or higher, I was just confirming that it works fine on 4gb... sorry if that was a terrible thing to do! I personally think you'll find if someone is being helpful then you don't ignore them - there is also no need to be rude to others - it wont make you or them superior! I was also not aware that I was talking to you who has not offered any help or advice, partial or otherwise.

hdean
Aug 1, 2011, 03:24 AM
i am using early 2008 macbook, model 4.1 with 2 gb ram. i recently installed osx lion. its running good and faster then sL.
but i have 1 problem after installed lion. please let me know if you get the same. problem is: software update and mac app store is not connecting with apple serve. safari and other apps are working fine.

miknos
Aug 1, 2011, 08:49 AM
The OP said he's doing some video editing, that's why more RAM is needed. He wants to know how much RAM Lion supports.

For the macbook 4,1:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US

Seems like supports 4GB max. Would be nice to check if other users managed to use more.

moonchilddave
Aug 1, 2011, 02:15 PM
he was also asking if Lion would work on a lower ram amount or higher, I was just confirming that it works fine on 4gb...

I was actually asking if Lion could take 6G or 8G on my Macbook... As I had stated I already had Lion installed with 4G - and it does work, but some things are sluggish. As a result of the audio/video editing - I want as much RAM as the thing will take. I knew that the max Apple recommends is 4G - but EveryMac seems to indicate 6G for the Penryn and OWC also says it will take 6G. So I went ahead and ordered the 6G matched set from OWC.

moonchilddave
Aug 3, 2011, 05:58 PM
Got the 6G and installed it - and it recognizes that it has 6G and seems to be running a little more smoothly now! So despite Apple saying it will only take 4G max, it seems like 6G works just fine...