Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Is it just the screw's not fully screwed in? When I pick up / put down the MBA 13' sometimes there is a slight "clicking" noise on the left corner. I saw the thread earlier about creaking and it's not that.

Any ideas?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Is it just the screw's not fully screwed in? When I pick up / put down the MBA 13' sometimes there is a slight "clicking" noise on the left corner. I saw the thread earlier about creaking and it's not that.

Any ideas?

Here's the thread I saw. A simple google of 'MacBook Air creaking' should give more results. :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1127722/

Anyway, mine, a week old MBA 13" i5 sometimes ticks or creaks at the bottom edge/tips when held close to there. Sometimes it doesn't do it. The creaks are not really loud but they're there nonetheless.

This is my 2nd replacement to ones that have LCD anomalies. This one has a perfect screen, no anomalies or dead pixels and no backlight bleeding issues to see. All other parts like the battery, hinges, keyboard, etc. do not have any slight defects and are all working perfectly. All I can say is, besides the slight ticks, I am satisfied with it.

From what I'm reading from posts, the creaking might go away in time.

I ordered the special '5 point Pentalobe Screw' from iFixit and should arrive soon. Just thinking of tightening the screws a bit and see what happens. If the ticking worsens, I am taking it to a Genius.

Don't get me wrong, it does bother me and I've had other MacBooks in the past that didn't creak at all. But considering the possibility of getting worse defects than this on a replacement unit, I am resisting the urge to return it.

Last edited:

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Idea #1 – power cord hitting the table?

Using it on my lap/couch/bed and in transit on a train in a case. So not plugged in.

Here's the thread I saw. A simple google of 'MacBook Air creaking' should give more results. :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1127722/

Anyway, mine, a week old MBA 13" i5 sometimes ticks or creaks at the bottom edge/tips when held close to there. Sometimes it doesn't do it. The creaks are not really loud but they're there nonetheless.

This is my 2nd replacement to ones that have LCD anomalies. This one has a perfect screen, no anomalies or dead pixels and no backlight bleeding issues to see. All other parts like the battery, hinges, keyboard, etc. do not have any slight defects and are all working perfectly. All I can say is, besides the slight ticks, I am satisfied with it.

From what I'm reading from posts, the creaking might go away in time.

I ordered the special '5 point Pentalobe Screw' from iFixit and should arrive soon. Just thinking of tightening the screws a bit and see what happens. If the ticking worsens, I am taking it to a Genius.

Don't get me wrong, it does bother me and I've had other MacBooks in the past that didn't creak at all. But considering the possibility of getting worse defects than this on a replacement unit, I am resisting the urge to return it.

Yeah saw that post before, it's not as much as that thread says but it's still bothering me a little bit. I have the screwdriver already so I'll try tightening this weekend. Don't want to take it back neither since I have double Samsung and everything else is perfect. Never seen this on the MBPs. Just trying to get everything sorted before going to University since there is no Apple store nearby there.

harpyeagle

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Using it on my lap/couch/bed and in transit on a train in a case. So not plugged in.

Yeah saw that post before, it's not as much as that thread says but it's still bothering me a little bit. I have the screwdriver already so I'll try tightening this weekend. Don't want to take it back neither since I have double Samsung and everything else is perfect. Never seen this on the MBPs. Just trying to get everything sorted before going to University since there is no Apple store nearby there.

I had this exact same problem on my second MBA that had a double sammy as well. I didn't think it was a mechanical issue until i switched off the MBA and could still hear it when i touched it a little away from the center towards the Apple Manufacturing verbage on the bottom. It was almost like a another touchpad -really annoying. I think the base might have been a little warped and was kind of touching another metal piece inside when pressed. There was considerable play.

Not all the display pieces at the Apple store had this problem and so I chose to return it. On my third one now and got a Samsung Display and LG SSD this time, but at least the noise is gone. Cannot be happier.

Keep us posted if you were able to fix it after tightening the screws.

marcsorel

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
I had the same clicking issue as the OP and was all set to order the screwdriver to tighten things up. On a whim, I took it to the Apple Store and they reseated the bottom panel, no questions asked. It took about 5 minutes and no more clicking. If you live near an Apple Store this is definitely much faster and cheaper than ordering the screwdriver and doing it yourself.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
2011 mba 13"

I also have slight creaking, cracking noise on front left-side of the case. Sometimes I get the noise when picking up the computer, sometimes even if it is resting on a desktop and i set my palm on the computer. Of more concern, however, is that the last time i was at the apple store, i picked up one of the display 13" computers... to see if it had the issue... and was shocked. Not only did it have the cracking noise, but it was extremely loud. Makes me worried that over time, with a lot of use, it gets worse. Have an appointment with genius bar tomorrow morning to see if they just need to re-set the bottom of the case, as a previous poster suggested.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I also have slight creaking, cracking noise on front left-side of the case. Sometimes I get the noise when picking up the computer, sometimes even if it is resting on a desktop and i set my palm on the computer. Of more concern, however, is that the last time i was at the apple store, i picked up one of the display 13" computers... to see if it had the issue... and was shocked. Not only did it have the cracking noise, but it was extremely loud. Makes me worried that over time, with a lot of use, it gets worse. Have an appointment with genius bar tomorrow morning to see if they just need to re-set the bottom of the case, as a previous poster suggested.

I went to get it reseated and although cracking noise was gone for a day, the lower part of my base is now loose. Like it wasn't set correctly. Have to make another trip to the apple store now...

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
Went to apple store today. No luck. Guy basically told me, carefully worded, that i was being "picky." of course, like a car that makes noise until you bring it to the mechanic, it was quiet while he looked at it. He DID offer to replace it with a new MBA, which i declined. I just can't believe he was unwilling to so much as have them tighten the screws in the bottom of the case!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
To those tightening by themselves, please report if it resolves the creaking/clicking issue. My new 2011 13" Air creaks as well when held near the bottom (screen open).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.