Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angela44angela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2008
So here's the deal, I'd love to setup a shared calendar for all the people in my household. I'd like all of us to access and update the shared calendar from our Macs and iOS devices - iPhones and iPads.

Is this possible with iCal Server 3? I'm unable to determine this as I can only infer that the shared calendar is available via Macs.

Last edited:

adaronkentano

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
The short answer is yes; though I can't speak specifically for Lion Server, we're using Snow Leopard Server in our office and sharing one calendar between 6 computers and four iPhones, and I assume Lion can do the same. It is by no means perfect (I'm in the middle of troubleshooting some compatibility issues between Leopard and Snow Leopard) and Snow Leopard Server currently can't push updates to the iPhones, but they work well enough on regular update settings.

It can be a bit tricky to setup, however, and you will need some sort of domain name (dyndns.org is a good choice) if you want to access the calendar from outside of your home network. If you're comfortable with configuring DNS on your server and port forwarding on your router, then you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.