Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Anandtech tweeted the LG numbers are better than Samsung,
viewing angles aside, just tilt the screen to solve that.

Everyone will have to rush out and swap those Samsungs for LGs :)

http://mobile.twitter.com/anandshimpi

Last edited:

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Pretty easy to just tilt the screen to maximize viewing angle?

Think I might rather have deeper blacks, than a wider view angle at least on a laptop...

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well, with a Samsung SSD and LG display, perhaps mine will be a hot commodity. :)

Seriously, though, these are both OK screens. They are nice, but neither the best nor the worst on the market.

Nice to see Anand got a hold of a Core i7 11" and LG screen and is doing more testing. He is giving the new MacBook Air a thorough workout.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Anand tweeted "numerically better", but I dunno what that really means for most people.

The first thing I noticed about my Samsung LCD (2011 MBA 11") when I turned on the MBA for the first time, was, "wow, the viewing angles are much narrower than on my MBP".

The second thought was, "the colors are a little bit washed out compared to the MBP".

The third thought was, "I must have gotten an LG" since I thought LG was supposed to be "worse" back then.

My first Omega Speedmaster "moon watch" was always fast by 11 seconds per day. I later got another one which was fast by only 1 second per day.

They are both awesome, and I thought they both kept great time for what they were.

I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about the specs of a specific component, when it's the overall product that matters.

Just like my watches, I never timed my cars 0-60 mph times to see if I got some kind of flawed automobile.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Pretty easy to just tilt the screen to maximize viewing angle?

Think I might rather have deeper blacks, than a wider view angle at least on a laptop...

Both the blacks on the screen are pretty weak. If you're on a plane/train, a lot of the time you don't have the option to tilt past a certain angle. You could use the laptop with the hinge area as the bottom but it's very comfortable that way.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
from what i have noticed my 2010 macbook air samsung display is no worse
than the 2009 macbook pro 15" display and only maybe a hair worse than the 2011 macbook pro 15" display

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Oh, and another comment:

I thought the "Apple crowd" was the crowd that always tried to look beyond a PC's specs because we believed that it was always the overall product and design that mattered more than a PC's components' specs. This being in sharp contrast to the "PC crowd" which focused a lot on specs and would usually deride Apple products as being overly priced inferior devices based on specs.

Now what happened??

Would anybody complain if EVERY MBA had the Toshiba SSD and Samsung (or LG) display?

NO! We would just say that Apple products are designed to be awesome and is greater than the sum of its individual components!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I have two MBA 2011 models with me at the moment, one with LG and one with Samsung. The LG does look a bit more washed out - but I really had to look for it. Thankfully I'm returning the LG one anyway.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I think many have become accustomed to IPS screens in the iPad or higher quality panels like in the Pro.

My first reaction to the Air's screen was why are the colors so washed out,
then I viewed a test pattern in Safari and seen the high end clipping,
which is a profile issue but still that's the state of the Air.

Otherwise it's a great machine, well worth keeping until the next gen Pros or Airs surface. I'm sure one of those will improve on the screen.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
This goes to show that people will never be happy.

No.

This goes to show that people expect the best from Apple.

Apple makes sweeping statements and gargantuan claims of being superior, caring the most, and paying attention to every little detail. Well, if they did follow through with their claims 100%, no one would be complaining. There's only a few small details that they missed with the Air which go a long way in how the product performs in the real world. Had they dealt with those details, everyone would be satisfied for the most part.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No.

This goes to show that people expect the best from Apple.

Apple makes sweeping statements and gargantuan claims of being superior, caring the most, and paying attention to every little detail. Well, if they did follow through with their claims 100%, no one would be complaining. There's only a few small details that they missed with the Air which go a long way in how the product performs in the real world. Had they dealt with those details, everyone would be satisfied for the most part.

Most people wouldn't have noticed the Toshiba vs. Samsung drive bit if not for some mostly irrelevant specs that were published. Nearly all the 2010 MacBook Airs released last year had the Toshiba drive, and that didn't stop all the gushing reviews and customer reaction. The Samsungs started working their way into the system earlier this year, but were never exclusive. Apple simply carried over these drives to the new models.

The screen issue is a bit different, but it's also more subjective. Some people prefer warmer screens, others cooler screens, so no matter what Apple uses some people won't be happy.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
My first reaction to the Air's screen was why are the colors so washed out,
then I viewed a test pattern in Safari and seen the high end clipping,
which is a profile issue but still that's the state of the Air.

That thread was ridiculous in it's ineptitude. The clipping isn't the display, it's the rendering in Safari. The image had an embedded colour profile which caused the clipping. Look at it in a different browser an the clipping is gone. To think that the display couldn't distinguish between those basic colours is stupid.

pickleydoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Anand's twitter says to wait for the final conclusions before taking one side or the other.

That said, after all the talk of Samsung vs. LG on this forum, I went into the Apple Store last week expecting to see a dramatic difference between the two types of panels.

The first one I looked at was on the 13" Air and looked fantastic. I was expecting it to be a Samsung but nope, it was an LG. Can't remember what the other 13" panel was.

Then I looked at two 11" panels side by side, one Samsung and one LG. I couldn't tell the difference. What I did notice was that the 13" screen looked better to me than the 11" screen. Nothing technical really, it was just a "feeling." Also I was in the Apple Store so who knows what it would look like at home or in the field. Also neither are probably as good as any decent S/P-IPS screen. Also both are worlds better than my Asus 1000H. I was more taken with the trackpad, honestly.

Nevertheless, I'm probably getting an 11" one anyways because it's replacing the 10" netbook for light, mobile CS5 work and audio recording. I think for what you're getting, the price is pretty reasonable. I love my old NEC IPS panel at home but if getting one in the Air would dramatically increase the price, I'd rather get the TN (or at least have the option for a cheaper TN).

Just my thoughts.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly, I love my Apple computers (2011 iMac, 2011 Air), but now that I'm an Apple owner, the bubble is burst. They may not have as many problems as Windows and other brand PCs, or they may handle problems better (customer service is phenom in my experience so far) but they have their own share of issues with software, hardware, glitches, and whatnot. They're not perfect, even though Apple sells the image of perfection.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
That thread was ridiculous in it's ineptitude. The clipping isn't the display, it's the rendering in Safari. The image had an embedded colour profile which caused the clipping. Look at it in a different browser an the clipping is gone. To think that the display couldn't distinguish between those basic colours is stupid.

Did you read my post?

Anyhow, as I stated it's a profile issue, but the issue is unique to the Air.

It's not caused by the image's sRGB profile, but how the Air handles it.

You can verify that by viewing the profiled image using Sarfari on a iMac or Macbook Pro.
Removing the profile from the image shows the Air is capable of showing the full scale, if it had better color management.

Could be the Air's color handling was designed to clip the high end
to give an artificial boost to contrast in the mid range on the Air's screen.

Last years Air's clipped the same, color management aside,
the Air's panel seems 2nd best to other Apple displays.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
WHAT????

Schummpp....arrgh.....umh....nnnnnnnnuhhhhhhh

<curled up in the corner of his room, head between his knees, rocking on his haunches>

I'm not crazy, Samsung's better
I'm not crazy, Samsung's better
I'm not crazy..

Last edited:

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I have an "LT" Samsung Display...I think it's vibrant, sharp, and consistent.

I'm really happy with it...

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Awesome! I knew LG was better.

Guys, stop focusing on this, the differences are obviously minute...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.