PDA

View Full Version : Primary desktop background won't change

mongorama
Jul 29, 2011, 11:28 AM
Not sure if this is Lion specific or not, but the desktop background on my primary display has changed to solid gray and I can't change it. I can bring up the preference panel for it, and click on different backgrounds, but nothing changes. I can even change the background on my secondary display... Any thoughts?

hughjaas
Aug 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
Not sure if this is Lion specific or not, but the desktop background on my primary display has changed to solid gray and I can't change it. I can bring up the preference panel for it, and click on different backgrounds, but nothing changes. I can even change the background on my secondary display... Any thoughts?

same here. my second screen changes, but my primary desktop seems to be a washed out solid gray.

Glenny2lappies
Aug 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mine's the other way around: the primary has a background, the secondary doesn't - just solid grey.

BTW I'm using an external monitor on a MBP which is the primary, i.e. the MacBook is the secondary.

This happened the other day where a reboot (ooh, just like Windows) fixed it. I use the machine in different offices on different monitors. Seems to be related to changing monitors.

Getting bored with all the Lion bugs and 'features'.

Kilamite
Feb 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'm having this problem where my desktop background won't change, and I too have an external display. It is stuck on the wallpaper I want to change.

A restart fixes it, but a bit of nuisance.

devynm37
May 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
I'm having the exact same problem—The other day I added monitor to my Mac Pro through HDMI (a dongle from MiniDisplay), and then changed my desktops. Today, they've reset to the default Lion one. They won't change, even though the preview display in System Settings says the background is something else. :confused:

kvwall
Aug 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
I had the same problem and called Apple Support.

This is how we fixed it:

1: Click "Go" at the top of the finder.
2: Hold down the "Option" key and click "Library"
3: Open the "Preferences" folder.
4: Find the file "com.apple.desktop.plist"
5: Rename it to "com.apple.desktop.plist.old"
6: Reboot your computer.

If this fixed the problem for you, follow steps 1 - 4 again and delete the ".old" file

TechnoUniverse
Dec 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
I had the same problem and called Apple Support.

This is how we fixed it:

1: Click "Go" at the top of the finder.
2: Hold down the "Option" key and click "Library"
3: Open the "Preferences" folder.
4: Find the file "com.apple.desktop.plist"
5: Rename it to "com.apple.desktop.plist.old"
6: Reboot your computer.

If this fixed the problem for you, follow steps 1 - 4 again and delete the ".old" file

Dude, you are my god. Thank you so much

zippyprincess
Dec 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
To change the background wallpaper on the screen of your choice, make sure the screen you are trying to change is set as the primary screen ie. the one with the menu bar across the top. I have a Macbook Air 11" and here's how I am able to set my primary screen.

Go to Preferences>Displays>Arrangement

One of the displayed screens will have a white horizontal strip along its top edge. You can drag the white strip to the other screen. Whichever screen has the white strip will be the primary screen.

Hope that works for you!

fweep
Sep 27, 2013, 03:34 PM
I had this same problem today after disconnecting and reconnecting two chained Thunderbolt displays.

The solution is to open a Terminal and run:

killall Dock

This will restart the Dock, which also controls the desktop background.

Credit to Jay Thompson, per this Stack Exchange answer (http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/41833/35362).

brethansen
Oct 7, 2013, 10:44 AM
If you have the "Show fast user switching" turned on, click the menu bar icon and choose "Login Window".

Login as the same user and the background is back. No need to logout or reboot!

To enable fast user switching menu bar, go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options