PDA

View Full Version : Lion decided to re-index?

crizyal
Jul 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
I upgraded my late 2009 MBP to lion last week and had a bit of trouble until i decided to do a clean install. The clean install seamed to clear up most if not all the problems I was seeing. Today I woke my MBP up from sleep and it was frozen and needed a cold kill by holding the power button. A message popped up saying this needed to be done (said it was a kernel panic???). After the laptop restarted I noticed right away that spotlight began to re-index. I am not sure what happened or if it is a sign of trouble to come. My MBP has NEVER crashed like that before lion. Coincidence?

basher
Jul 29, 2011, 12:03 PM
I wonder if the index has to do with the way the Mac was restarted.

I had to shutdown my iMac via the power button. After I booted back up I noticed that spotlight was indexing. Very odd indeed.

kdfukuyama
Jul 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
In my case, the Spotlight re-index on every reboot. And I did a clean install.

crizyal
Jul 29, 2011, 01:21 PM
In my case, the Spotlight re-index on every reboot. And I did a clean install.

I just checked and mine does that also although it only takes about 2 min. Is this normal behavior? I hadn't noticed it before.

podsorcerer09
Jul 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder if the index has to do with the way the Mac was restarted.

I had to shutdown my iMac via the power button. After I booted back up I noticed that spotlight was indexing. Very odd indeed.

Spotlight is designed to reindex every time you force a shutdown with the power button or have a kernel panic. Not sure why but it's in the code for some reason.

To stop indexing until a more convineint time you can turn off indexing for all your drives via the terminal and then start it later.

sudo mdutil -a -i off turns it off and similarly
sudo mdutil -a i- on turns it back on for all drives.