PDA

View Full Version : Installing Lion from External HDD with AC Power Cable to Portable USB Speed/Time

seong
Jul 29, 2011, 12:09 PM
Hello all. I've been wondering how long it would take for me to actually install Lion from a External HDD (that is connected to the AC power) to a portable HDD (that only powers via USB.) Both of these HDDs were connected to two ports of my Macbook Pro 13".
I have partitioned the the External HDD to 10GB (left with 6.06GB of free space) and partitioned my portable HDD to 16GB (now left with 1.54GB of free space.) I rebooted, hold down alt-key to boot from Lion installer, and time it using my iPod Touch. Surprisingly, the ENTIRE PROCESS (which means booting from the drive, downloading additional components online, installing it on the partition, going through all the necessary steps such as creating accounts, and to where you can see the desktop and it's fully loaded with dock, etc.) TOOK EXACTLY 25 MINUTES.
I've tested this same procedure with Snow Leopard with the same partition size, and it took nearly an hour for it to ONLY install. In my opinion, the speed will be significantly faster if you are actually installing it on your internal HDD.

I'll update this forum on Monday, showing you the time it took to install it from a USB drive (flash drive, pen drive, jump drive, whatever you call it.) It's currently on it's way from Amazon. It has 32MB/s Read speed, and 18MB/s Write speed.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetFlash-600-Flash-TS8GJF600/dp/B002QCAN9S