Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I bought a new MBP a few weeks ago.

I upgraded to Lion last week.

I bought a Samsung LE40D580 HDTV last week.

I bought a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter off ebay, and an HDMI cable from Amazon.

I've tried connecting my MBP to the TV, and it doesn't seem to recognise it.

If I connect it to the TV whilst the TV is off (in standby mode), then the MBP screen flashes blue for a second and it will recognise the TV (there is a Samsung window in System Preferences > Displays).

However, when I turn the TV on, the screen on the MBP flashes blue for a second again, and the Samsung window disappears from Display preferences and the TV is not recognised on the MBP anymore.

In addition, the MBP is not recognised as being connected by the TV, and the screen just says no device connected (I've made sure I've selected the correct source input channel on the TV - HDMI 1/2/3/4 etc).

I have never tried this whilst SL was installed on my MBP so I can't say whether it's a problem with Lion.

I have no idea what to do and I bought this TV predominantly so that I could connect my MBP to it. It's really frustrating and I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited:

Charlie03

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I connect my 2007 MBP to my Sharp 42" tv the exact way as you just described and i am also running Lion. Have you gone to System preferences/Display/Arrangement/Mirror Display? You should have that Arrangement tab when plugged up to an "external monitor/tv" If you do then make sure the mirror display check box is clicked. hopefully that helps

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
The problem is (as I was trying to describe in the OP but I will edit it so it is more clear) that although the MBP recognises the TV when the TV is in standby (and in Arrangement, mirror displays is checked), as soon as I turn the TV on, the MBP does not recognise the TV anymore and in fact the window for "Samsung" in Display preferences disappears once the TV has been turned on.

The MBP does not recognise the TV (the TV display is not found in System Preferenced > Displays), nor does the TV recognise the MBP (it says no signal/no device connected).

Charlie03

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
And you have tried to move to different HDMI ports on the TV itself as well correct? Checked to make sure all the connections are stable none is loose anywhere. Although I re-read your initial post you mentioned HDMI cable as well. My set up is mini DVI to HDMI all in one cable and yes it does do the blue screen then the tv shows the screen on my MBP. Sorry if i misunderstood your initial post. But could be a bad cable if everything else works. Does the MBP work for example if you plug it into a different external monitor/tv?

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Yes I have tried different HDMI ports.

None of the connections are loose.

I don't have another external monitor to test the MBP on, nor do I have another HDMI equipped laptop to test on the TV.

However, surely the fact that BEFORE I turn the TV on, the MBP recognises the TV (by showing the "Samsung" window in the Displays section of System Preferences) means the cable can't be bad? The problem lies in that when I turn the tv ON, the screen flashes blue again and the recognition of the TV disappears (as does the Samsung window from Displays preferences).

Additionally, I have tried to connect my housemate's 13" 2011 MBP w/ Lion to the TV as well (mine is a 15") and I am getting EXACTLY the same problem.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Have you tried a different adapter? Or just mini displayport to VGA? And this is Thunderbolt, right?

I'd also try a DVI output if you've got access to one of those adapters.

karansaraf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
It's a Mini Displayport to HDMI (not DVI).

And I don't have access to another adapter :(

It is a Thunderbolt equipped MBP, but I'm not using a Thunderbolt adapter, if that's what you mean.

I didn't particularly want to use a DVI adapter as 1. it doesn't carry audio and 2. I'm not sure my TV has a DVI input?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.