Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
When I was on Snow Leopard I had two profiles on my computer. One was protected using file vault and the other was just password protected. I want to use file vault 2 to encrypt my entire disk but I want the two accounts completely separate. When I log into one I still want the other encrypted like it is now. Is that possible?

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
according to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790 you should have the option to continue using "legacy" filevault on accounts already setup that way. Once it's turned off, it can't be turned on again

It's not clear, but it sounds like you cannot use both legacy filevault and enable filevault 2. From the linked KB article:

You may continue to use OS X Lion with Legacy FileVault, but you cannot enable Legacy FileVault for other user accounts in OS X Lion. If you turn off Legacy FileVault, the Legacy FileVault tab will disappear and you can then choose to enable OS X Lion's FileVault 2 (disk encryption).

liquid85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks. So does that mean that if I use file vault 2 to encrypt my drive, when I type in my password both accounts will be open? I want both to be encrypted and completely separate from each other.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks. So does that mean that if I use file vault 2 to encrypt my drive, when I type in my password both accounts will be open? I want both to be encrypted and completely separate from each other.

They will still be separated by OS X file permissions, but either password will decrypt the hard drive.

Any files you are really paranoid about that you're afraid the other users could somehow get to can be stored in a separate encrypted/password-protected disk image. Use Disk Utility to create and mount whenever you need the contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.