PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Rules The Skies

MacRumors
Jul 29, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/iphone-rules-the-skies/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/gogo.jpg

iPhones make up close to two-thirds of mobile devices using Gogo's inflight Wi-Fi service, according to All Things Digital (http://allthingsd.com/20110728/apple-rules-the-mobile-mile-high-club/). iPod touch devices cover another 20%, while Android makes up just 12% of devices using Gogo (http://www.gogoair.com/).

BlackBerries account for 6 percent while Windows Mobile and other mobiles aren't used enough to count.

AllThingsD notes the iPad isn't included in the mobile numbers. Mobile devices pay slightly lower charges than larger devices like tablets and laptops do. Though, the iPad is popular too, clocking in with more than a third of larger devices. Windows as a whole counted as 41% and Macs just under 20%.

Article Link: iPhone Rules The Skies (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/iphone-rules-the-skies/)

*LTD*
Jul 29, 2011, 04:21 PM
If plane tickets were free you'd see Android ruling the skies.

ratzzo
Jul 29, 2011, 04:40 PM
Would be nice if you also included prices as I wasn't aware they actually offered WiFi and suspect their prices are out of this world. I went on a cruise some time ago, and they charged 13 eur the hour for satellite wifi (30kb/s and huge latency).

I wish more flight companies offered this service though, after a quick look with Google it turns out only a selected handful do. And nearly none in the southwestern Europe region outside business/first class.

Scott90
Jul 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
Would be nice if you also included prices as I wasn't aware they actually offered WiFi and suspect their prices are out of this world. I went on a cruise some time ago, and they charged 13 eur the hour for satellite wifi (30kb/s and huge latency).

I wish more flight companies offered this service though, after a quick look with Google it turns out only a selected handful do. And nearly none in the southwestern Europe region outside business/first class.

It's domestic US flights only, and I think you pay $8 for a handheld device and $10 for laptops. If you fly from NY to LA it's definitely worth it, but short two hour flights (which basically means only an hour of actual usage--they only turn it on above 10,000 feet), not really.

Last year Google sponsored free WiFi in the air for a limited time, so I used that. Speed was actually not bad.

applesith
Jul 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like a G6

NebulaClash
Jul 29, 2011, 06:18 PM

Oh no you didn't! :)

Heh, it's so funny how we get story after story about Android's dominance when it comes to activation or total sales or sheer number of devices. But when it comes to usage, it's iOS that rules the world. What is it with these millions of Android users who don't use their devices to go online? Are they just asking for a "smart" phone, handed an Android, and thereafter only use the phone function with, maybe, the address book app?

nylonsteel
Jul 29, 2011, 06:40 PM

+1 good one - i dream of flying first class on Quantas A380 upper decker with an iphone5

Caliber26
Jul 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
WiFi in the sky is, hands down, the best! Makes flying so much fun, when you can just sit down and catch up with personal emails, gossip sights, and Facebook.

MacRumors always gets fit into my hourly schedule, so need to catch up with that. :p

Laird Knox
Jul 29, 2011, 07:10 PM

Heh, it's so funny how we get story after story about Android's dominance when it comes to activation or total sales or sheer number of devices. But when it comes to usage, it's iOS that rules the world. What is it with these millions of Android users who don't use their devices to go online? Are they just asking for a "smart" phone, handed an Android, and thereafter only use the phone function with, maybe, the address book app?

Don't forget SMS. Gotta have a smart phone for the SMS. ;)

ScottHammet
Jul 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

That's right. Android may be more prevalent, but that's only because it's cheaper, not better. What these statistics tell me is that, for those that can afford to choose, they choose an iOS device. Flying's not just for the rich, but if you're flying and you're also dropping the coin on the WIFI fee, etc. there's a good chance you can afford whatever mobile device you want, and it would seem that's an iOS device.

Tommy Wasabi
Jul 29, 2011, 07:18 PM
Why iPhone over Android?

The answer is simple. Uptake on wifi enabled flights are driven by 2 key things: 1. The length of the flight >3 hours 4-7x the number of activations vs. lengths of flights < 3 hours.
2. The airline. Virgin has a "hipper" demographic than say - Delta. (Delta also flies a lot of flights < 3 hours. So even when Delta flies 4x the number of wifi enabled flights - Virgin actually sells more activations. People that fly Virgin also have a larger % of iPhones than Androids.

So what do these two things have to do with iPhone vs. Android? The obvious choice: There are more iPhones in corporate America than Androids. Business flyers expense the activation fee or have a subscription (if they fly a lot). But wait you say - if this is true then Blackberry would be leading the pack. Ever try to use the internet on a Blackberry? On a plane flying at 550 mph? 'nuff said.

So it isn't that iPhone usage is higher than Android - it's just that people that buy wifi on flights - tend to be iPhone users. Or - another thought - iPhone users are use to paying for their apps - so iPhones users just spend more money than Android users.

TW

wovel
Jul 29, 2011, 07:21 PM

Post of the year, congratulations.

Laird Knox
Jul 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
Why iPhone over Android?

The answer is simple. Uptake on wifi enabled flights are driven by 2 key things: 1. The length of the flight >3 hours 4-7x the number of activations vs. lengths of flights < 3 hours.
2. The airline. Virgin has a "hipper" demographic than say - Delta. (Delta also flies a lot of flights < 3 hours. So even when Delta flies 4x the number of wifi enabled flights - Virgin actually sells more activations. People that fly Virgin also have a larger % of iPhones than Androids.

So what do these two things have to do with iPhone vs. Android? The obvious choice: There are more iPhones in corporate America than Androids. Business flyers expense the activation fee or have a subscription (if they fly a lot). But wait you say - if this is true then Blackberry would be leading the pack. Ever try to use the internet on a Blackberry? On a plane flying at 550 mph? 'nuff said.

So it isn't that iPhone usage is higher than Android - it's just that people that buy wifi on flights - tend to be iPhone users. Or - another thought - iPhone users are use to paying for their apps - so iPhones users just spend more money than Android users.

TW

Book a flight based on how hip the airline is? :confused:

DeathChill
Jul 29, 2011, 07:24 PM
Why iPhone over Android?

TW

The issue with this logic is that it appears in every usage statistic I've seen. WiFi connections in restaurants, website traffic, app buying, etc. iPhone users just seem to be much more active in using their devices.

jeman
Jul 29, 2011, 07:32 PM

Roger that.

kdarling
Jul 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
Doesn't matter who made the device, the people who act more interested in their gizmo than in their companions, are just plain (fill in the blank).

NebulaClash
Jul 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
Somewhat related, the Verizon quarterly results were interesting since it was the first full quarter of iPhone availability during a time when Verizon was pushing the Droid message hard:

2.3M iPhones activated
1.2M LTE and Android devices

So in Verizon's case, take every Android phone, Android tablet, whatever and they sold half as many as just the iPhone.

I realize this is one provider in one country, but I thought it was interesting to see how demand went for the company once a customer could select any phone they wanted and that was in the marketplace.

winston1236
Jul 29, 2011, 07:57 PM
iphone users are "upper" class? haha let the hate come

kdarling
Jul 29, 2011, 08:00 PM
2.3M iPhones activated
1.2M LTE and Android devices

So in Verizon's case, take every Android phone, Android tablet, whatever and they sold half as many as just the iPhone.

That 1.2 million was made up of only LTE capable dongles and phones.

The number of non-iPhone 3G smartphones sold was not mentioned.

jacobo007
Jul 29, 2011, 09:16 PM
Why iPhone over Android?

TW

i donīt buy this "hipper demographic" theory.

tgildred
Jul 29, 2011, 09:34 PM
Macs* not Mac's.

Why do people put apostrophes in words to make them plural?

Probably the same reason they might use unnecessary commas in the second paragraph.

marksman
Jul 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think a big part of it is many people get android devices as phones not smartphones. With 2 for 1 deals and total subsidies people who are not inclined to use a smartphone end up with one anyways because of the price.

iPhones are sold as computers and most android devices are sold as cellphones.

sentinelsx
Jul 30, 2011, 01:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Android users are too busy customizing their 4.3 inch screen devices to look pretty to stare at instead of actually using the smartphone functions and that big screen. Also if they start using it the phone will probably die long before the flight will end :)

epiciphonehack
Jul 30, 2011, 02:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why iPhone over Android?

TW

Book a flight based on how hip the airline is? :confused:

Who wouldn't? I love a hot flight attendant!

baryon
Jul 30, 2011, 03:37 AM
How the hell would they allow you to use a phone on a plane? With WiFi enabled?

batchtaster
Jul 30, 2011, 04:19 AM

Check your iPhone. When you turn on "Flight Mode", Wi-Fi switches off but can be switched back on without exiting Flight Mode. Your phone is supposed to be completely off during take-off and landing, but once in the air, you can turn it back on and use Wi-Fi, as long as you had put it into Flight Mode before you turned it off (the cell functions have to remain off at all times).

They wouldn't offer in-flight Wi-Fi if it was a problem. One assumes they know what they're doing.

The different pricing seems like a scam though. Charging more for the same service because your screen is bigger. Larger devices are generally able to consume data quicker, but unless the service is some form of "unlimited data", this sounds like a rort.

BrewsterMccloud
Jul 30, 2011, 08:25 AM
I fly 2-3 times a week (work as a consultant) with my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air. Because of where I live, I almost always fly on Alaska or Delta - both of which are 100% wifi equipped now by the same company (Gogo). They have an unlimited $39.95/ month plan for people like me and it is good on any device big or small (one at a time). It averages to a very low cost if you fly a lot. I get a ton of work done now on longer flights - bad thing is I never get to watch a movie or TV show on my iPad like I used to. Yesterday I flew Miami to Seattle and the flight attendant announced that over half of the people on board were using the wi-fi. I see lots of computers and iPads (no other tablets ever) in use on the plane, way more than smartphones. The planes are starting to look like an internet cafe. I'm a people watcher and enjoy checking out other folks' gear. Yesterday the couple across the aisle from me had matching MacBook Pros connected with an Ethernet cable. I inquired and they said they were sharing one wifi internet connection on the two computers via the cable. Will try that next time I fly with my hubby.

Macman45
Jul 30, 2011, 09:26 AM
Here in the UK, only a handful of airlines will allow the use of wifi in flight. I'm not sure if this is security paranoia or simply fears about the aircrafts systems.

Virgin Atlantic will, last I heard BA won't, it's hit and miss really. I don't fly any longer due to a severe DVT suffered a couplenof years back, but am always the one booking flights for family etc.

I guess you can live without it for the duration of the flight......I would just play the odd game or watch a film on my iPad anyway.

PracticalMac
Jul 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/gogo.jpg

BlackBerries account for 6 percent while Windows Mobile and other mobiles aren't used enough to count.

Article Link: iPhone Rules The Skies (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/29/iphone-rules-the-skies/)

ROFL!!!

Roger that.

Gimme a Vector, Victor!

kdarling
Jul 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
They wouldn't offer in-flight Wi-Fi if it was a problem. One assumes they know what they're doing.

The reason why in-flight WiFi (and cell) service can be allowed, is because it's set to super low power (there's no need to transmit very far).

Hopefully, most user devices work well and also transmit back at lower power.

Each type of airplane setup still must be tested for interference. For example:

Just a few months ago, Boeing engineers discovered that strong WiFi signals on 737NGs equipped with a certain Honeywell cockpit display module, could cause the pilot displays to go blank. Ouch! So they're having Honeywell redo the display shielding before allowing in-flight WiFi service to be added to those planes.

cvaldes
Jul 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
Correct, with WiFi.

The GoGo service does not provide a cellular signal and the airlines all prohibit cellular use during flight.

Keep the cellular radios off, then turn on WiFi. Fire up a browser then register for the service (you typically have to pay with a credit card; maybe they pass out vouchers in first class).

I find the service rather pricey although there's usually a lower price tier for handheld devices. For me, the price might be acceptable for a transcontinental flight with my iPad. Not worth it for something like SFO-LAX.

BrewsterMccloud
Jul 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
maybe they pass out vouchers in first class

No Gogo vouchers in first class on Alaska or Delta but on my last transcontinental flight (on Alaska) almost everyone in first class was using wifi.

rman726
Jul 30, 2011, 03:55 PM
I was on a Southwest flight last week, and they were offering $5 for the entire flight of Wifi. If my flight were longer than an hour, I definitely would have done it.

carlgo
Jul 30, 2011, 05:19 PM

Only above 10,000 feet because when your phone sends the aircraft into a death dive the flight crew has just enough time to disable WiFi and regain control.

henrystar
Jul 30, 2011, 05:23 PM
Doesn't matter who made the device, the people who act more interested in their gizmo than in their companions, are just plain (fill in the blank).

Your picture explains better than your posting does!

Meanie
Jul 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
How expensive is it? Is it flat rate? I've never seen wifi aboard airplanes in Europe or Asia why are we so far behind when it comes to this...

Also "If plane tickets were free you'd see Android ruling the skies." made my day

BrewsterMccloud
Jul 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
How expensive is it? Is it flat rate?

Here are the rates (http://www.gogoair.com) for the company that provides WiFi for Delta and Alaska Airlines. By "flat rate" if you mean you don't pay by the minute or by the megabyte, yes - it is a flat rate per flight or an unlimited monthly pass, no download limits. I flew one leg on American last week (DEN-->MIA) and they had no WiFi. Apparently they only have it on some of their fleet thus far. Also American Airlines seems to use a different company for their wifi so that a Gogo unlimited pass (Delta and Alaska) would not work on American. One more note, for technical reasons it only works over land, so you can forget about surfing the web during that 6-hour flight from LA to Hawaii. Also an occasional gap when flying over the Rockies. I guess they use land-based relay stations rather than satellite.

vrDrew
Jul 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
So it isn't that iPhone usage is higher than Android - it's just that people that buy wifi on flights - tend to be iPhone users.

Kudos for repeating the "Apple is favored by dim-witted hipsters" myth.

But how does this square with the "Android is preferred by power-users whose 24/7 connectivity is vital to our continued survival" story?

Maybe all those busy Android passengers are being productive by poking through their file systems and rearranging the widgets and wallpapers on their phones.

itsalexaye
Jul 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Most travelers use iPhones, because they can be used as world phones. Most androids are on Sprint and Verizon, which means they arent usually world phones. only CDMA, so they'd have to rent a phone when they leave the country.

kdarling
Jul 30, 2011, 08:46 PM
Most travelers use iPhones, because they can be used as world phones. Most androids are on Sprint and Verizon, which means they arent usually world phones. only CDMA, so they'd have to rent a phone when they leave the country.

Besides the simple fact that a person doesn't have to leave their country to travel, and that you seem to be ignoring the Android users outside the USA since you only talked about Sprint and Verizon....

Unfortunately, ATT does not unlock locked iPhones, and therefore they're not the best choice for Americans traveling overseas. In fact, many ATT iPhone users also buy cheap GSM phones to use when traveling for long periods.

USA travelers are ironically better off with a so-called World Phone from Verizon (I have one, the Incredible 2) because Verizon will give you the unlock code so you can use local SIMs if you wish while traveling outside the country in GSM-only areas.

revnja
Jul 31, 2011, 01:35 AM
I used this service when I flew from Anchorage to Memphis about a month ago. It works pretty well, the only problem I had was using it in coach with my 15" MBP. If the person in front of you reclines, you're pretty much stuck with using the computer up against your chest.

Maybe I should use a Macbook Air... in the air!

neech7
Jul 31, 2011, 02:53 AM

What? How about checking out AT&T and T-Mobile's web sites and see how many Android phones they offer? And stop smoking whatever you're smoking!

BTW, I've spent four weeks so far this year in Europe and Asia and the only mobile phone I had with me was an Android phone from T-Mobile, which I used extensively to call, text, and go online. So all you Apple fanboys can put to rest the notion that Android phone users don't travel much (overseas) and don't go online with their phones.

neech7
Jul 31, 2011, 02:56 AM

I had to pay $200 and sign a 2 year contract for my Android phone. Don't assume every Android phone is cheapskate and comes free of charge.

neech7
Jul 31, 2011, 03:03 AM

Maybe Android phone owners actually have a life, and they like interacting with people sitting next to them on an airplane?

And this is just talking about usage mid-flight. Why are you implying that Android users don't use their phones to get online everywhere else?

Before you start calling me an Apple-hater, you should know that I own a MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and an iPad. I am just smart enough to pick and choose different brands based on my needs instead of blindly going all-Apple, all-Google, or all-Microsoft for all my gadgets like some people. Not saying that you're like that, but we know there are people like that out there.

kdarling
Jul 31, 2011, 08:08 AM

The iPhone 3GS at $49 has been right there at the bottom of the price barrel.

Morever, reportedly it's dropping to $19.99 (http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/30/iphone-price-cuts-hitting-radio-shack-target-tomorrow/) soon at the Shack and Target.

cozmot
Jul 31, 2011, 09:37 AM

Cruise lines charge you so much because it's a huge cash cow for them, and they can get away with it because you're a captive audience for a longer period of time.

NebulaClash
Jul 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
Maybe Android phone owners actually have a life, and they like interacting with people sitting next to them on an airplane?

And this is just talking about usage mid-flight. Why are you implying that Android users don't use their phones to get online everywhere else?

Heh, yeah, that's the usual line used when stats go against a group: hey, at least we have a life! :)

I get this sense from studies of online usage. iOS dominates. So while there are tons of stories about how Android sales are blowing iPhone sales away, I'm not seeing a similar pattern of usage when you can actually measure it.

NebulaClash
Jul 31, 2011, 10:12 AM
The iPhone 3GS at $49 has been right there at the bottom of the price barrel.

But unlike many Android owners, those cheap 3GS owners pay for apps and music. That's the point LTD was making.

cvaldes
Jul 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
No Gogo vouchers in first class on Alaska or Delta but on my last transcontinental flight (on Alaska) almost everyone in first class was using wifi.
That doesn't surprise me. Twenty bucks for in-flight Internet is chump change for first class flyers.

NebulaClash
Jul 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hey, I'm finally seeing television ads for the Galaxy Tab, and predictably it's on sports programming. I say predictably because it seems at least in America the advertising for Android devices has been heavily skewed toward young men. Classic mistake and old-century thinking. These tech companies are used to young men being the early buyers of tech toys, and they certainly are that.

But what Apple is doing is showing that the Post-PC era is about expanding the market to everyone, even people who used to be intimidated by technology. Samsung will eventually figure this out, but for now we get 20th-century thinking from their ads while Apple is using 21st-century thinking. The market is responding appropriately.

Jul 31, 2011, 11:51 AM
Pricing is different for mobile devices and laptops.

I set the iPhone user agent on the development menu in Safari and paid the mobile pricing on my Macbook Air.

starnyc
Jul 31, 2011, 02:19 PM
If android were useful, it's usage would reflect its "activations". On cramped planes android people get to sit next to apple people and feel buyers remorse up close and personal.

neko girl
Jul 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh look, another usage study not supporting Rubin's activation numbers.

cozmot
Aug 1, 2011, 06:22 AM
Pricing is different for mobile devices and laptops.

I set the iPhone user agent on the development menu in Safari and paid the mobile pricing on my Macbook Air.

Nice tip, thanks!! :)

parapup
Aug 1, 2011, 09:44 AM
On my last two trips I made it a point to observe what phones/tablets people were using. At first I saw 3GS and 4 everywhere. Then I noticed one thing - the other people pulling out their phones to make or take a call - and coincidentally or not - every single time the phone they pulled out was Android or Blackberry. I think Android and BB people are less OCD and just don't seem to flaunt their phones without reason.

iPads and Kindles were common sight in the plane itself - I was the only one having a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the executive sitting besides me was hell bent on calling it Samsung's iPad - a lot of explaining was in order!

kdarling
Aug 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
On cramped planes android people get to sit next to apple people and feel buyers remorse up close and personal.

You don't even need a combination of an Android and Apple users.

Anyone can be remorseful that they bought a seat ticket right next to somebody who insists on using their media player at full volume, or talking loudly on their phone up until the last second possible, or trying to prop up their tablet behind their food tray so they can keep killing pigs while eating :)

It's almost as bad as those who turn on their smartphone displays while in a dark theatre.

(j/k ... yes, I know you meant being jealous of the other's device. I've seen that go both ways.)

DeathChill
Aug 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
It's almost as bad as those who turn on their smartphone displays while in a dark theatre.

Good God I hate those people.

danfrumkin
Aug 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
iPhones are sold as computers and most android devices are sold as cellphones.

I think this is the key. Folks with Android phones aren't yet comfortable to use them as computers as iPhone users. It may be that the iPhone has been available longer and travelers are more comfortable thinking of the iPhone as their only device.

I think that it is also neat to see that iPad (about a third) and Macs, make up more that half of the "large" devices. Esp when iPad + Macs is much less than 50% in sales.

marksman
Aug 2, 2011, 02:56 AM
I wonder which operating system for smartphones is most prevalent coming from jails and prisons in the United States?

cozmot
Aug 2, 2011, 04:39 AM
On my last two trips I made it a point to observe what phones/tablets people were using. At first I saw 3GS and 4 everywhere. Then I noticed one thing - the other people pulling out their phones to make or take a call - and coincidentally or not - every single time the phone they pulled out was Android or Blackberry. I think Android and BB people are less OCD and just don't seem to flaunt their phones without reason.

So, I'm curious, exactly how were the OCD Apple users flaunting their phones without reason?

NebulaClash
Aug 2, 2011, 04:02 PM
So, I'm curious, exactly how were the OCD Apple users flaunting their phones without reason?

It's all about picking sides. Every time an Android user pulls out his or her phone, it's to be productive. Whereas Apple users are status conscious idiots who like to flash their overpriced, locked-down, underpowered, pretty devices for all to see.

More or less.