PDA

View Full Version : Lion breaks Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 Card Support

Flaffer
Jul 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
I have verified that OS X Lion breaks support for Nvidia's 8800 GTS 612 (G92). The startup freezes on the grey screen but the OS continues to boot, you just cannot see it.

One fix recommends flashing the GPU's ROM. I have a ROM created by someone and they say it fixes the issue. However, I am having trouble finding the program. It's called Zeus and I need to find version 1.3. I have 2.5 and it does not work.

Does someone have a copy of Zeus 1.3 they can email me?

Lestdog
Jul 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
You should contact whoever sold you the card. Most of them have packaged a fix for this issue. You have to do it with leopard or snow leopard.. If you have lion installed then you'll have to partition a version with snow leopard on your drive then flash the card and then delete the partition.... unless you want to keep leopard??

I have the fix and can email it to you want.. just PM me.

Flaffer
Jul 31, 2011, 12:17 AM
You should contact whoever sold you the card. Most of them have packaged a fix for this issue. You have to do it with leopard or snow leopard.. If you have lion installed then you'll have to partition a version with snow leopard on your drive then flash the card and then delete the partition.... unless you want to keep leopard??

I have the fix and can email it to you want.. just PM me.

I bought my card off of eBay "as-is" so I doubt they are in this program and hence why I am looking around myself.

I have the ROM file myself, it just seems that I need the v1.3 of Zeus which has worked for several people who have had the same issue as I have with v2.5 of Zeus (i.e., the flash button doing nothing). You say you have a copy of Zeus v1.3? Or were you talking about the ROM?

I can try Zeus 2.5 in Snow Leopard. That is what you are suggesting, correct?

Thanks,

Flaffer

brand
Jul 31, 2011, 12:45 AM
Since Snow Leopard never supported this card then it is not possible for Lion to break support for it as you say. Just because the video card was hacked to work does not mean that it was supported by Apple and Apple has no obligation to support the card. It sucks but thats the way it is when you hack a PC video card that uses BIOS and that was not designed to be installed and operated on a Mac. Apple hardware does have a premium but it also comes with the support that you are looking for and Lion would support it

Flaffer
Aug 1, 2011, 07:04 AM
Since Snow Leopard never supported this card then it is not possible for Lion to break support for it as you say. Just because the video card was hacked to work does not mean that it was supported by Apple and Apple has no obligation to support the card. It sucks but thats the way it is when you hack a PC video card that uses BIOS and that was not designed to be installed and operated on a Mac. Apple hardware does have a premium but it also comes with the support that you are looking for and Lion would support it
You misunderstand: the card WAS supported in Snow Leopard but it is broke in Lion. It was not "hacked" to work; it worked with the out-of-the-box drivers.

I have made a report to Apple about the broken support under the Lion Support but who knows when and if it will be fixed. So I am taking matters into my own hands to kludge the issue.

Pressure
Aug 1, 2011, 08:04 AM
As far as I recall the Geforce 8800 GTS was never an officially supported graphic card for Mac OS X.

The Geforce 8800 GT, however, were.

You probably have to hack a kext with the Device ID of the Geforce 8800 GTS to get it working.