Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
Waking from closed lid after being asleep for a while, it almost feels as long as powering it up. Anyone found a fix yet?

So much for instant on...

There have been discussions about the issue pertaining to WiFi.

**** THE POSSIBLE FIX ****

Assign yourself a static ip - or dhcp with manual address. It 'seems' to have fixed this issue for me, without having to disable wifi.

Please post feedback on this solution. Cheers.

Last edited:

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Waking from closed lid after being asleep for a while, it almost feels as long as powering it up. Anyone found a fix yet?

So much for instant on...

I noticed that too. Also after I log in, It seems to take quite awhile. It'll just sit there at the Login window then it'll log in.

I think it's Lion. Seems to have lots of bugs.
Sometimes in full screen mode, when I go all the way up, the menu is supposed to drop for me to get out of full screen mode, but nothing happens. I have to option tab to get to finder etc. Also lots of little freezes here and there.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
For me it's even to get to the login screen. The longer it's asleep, the longer it takes to awaken. I did an smc reset, didn't help. After sleeping 3 hours it took 12 seconds before I could put my password in. After sleeping half an hour it took 5.

Must be a bug

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I noticed that too. Also after I log in, It seems to take quite awhile. It'll just sit there at the Login window then it'll log in.

I think it's Lion. Seems to have lots of bugs.
Sometimes in full screen mode, when I go all the way up, the menu is supposed to drop for me to get out of full screen mode, but nothing happens. I have to option tab to get to finder etc. Also lots of little freezes here and there.

same problems here too

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
same problems here too

What really sucks is I just did a test with a co-workers early 2010 13 MBP. It has C2D 8gb ram and 750 WD Scorpio drive.

From sleep his wakes up as fast or faster than my new i7 Air. From login window his takes couple seconds then logs in. Mine takes forever.

Wish I could go back to SL and keep some of the new features of Lion.

It's starting to annoy me..

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
What really sucks is I just did a test with a co-workers early 2010 13 MBP. It has C2D 8gb ram and 750 WD Scorpio drive.

From sleep his wakes up as fast or faster than my new i7 Air. From login window his takes couple seconds then logs in. Mine takes forever.

My 13" i5 wakes up very fast. Not quite as fast as SL, but certainly nowhere as slow as you folks are talking about (and I have an 11" 2010 MBA w/SL on it for comparison).

What happens if you turn off wifi & then try to wake up from sleep? There have been reports of WiFi issues in Lion & I'm wondering if your system is spinning its wheels trying to re-establish its wifi connection.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
My 13" i5 wakes up very fast. Not quite as fast as SL, but certainly nowhere as slow as you folks are talking about (and I have an 11" 2010 MBA w/SL on it for comparison).

What happens if you turn off wifi & then try to wake up from sleep? There have been reports of WiFi issues in Lion & I'm wondering if your system is spinning its wheels trying to re-establish its wifi connection.

YES!!! That's it. I turned off wifi and it went from log in window to desktop in sec.

So it's a wifi bug in Lion..

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
YES!!! That's it. I turned off wifi and it went from log in window to desktop in sec.

So it's a wifi bug in Lion..

Same thing here- problem fixed when I turned off wifi- thanks

Now if I could just get it to stop freezing (when playing angry birds)

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking from 2010 with Lion I simply do not have this issue, but I can point out some differences. I don't use the log in screen when resuming from sleep, and I keep wifi on.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
London
My 2007 loses wifi upon wake with lion, which may explain the reason it wakes instantly. I never really thought it could get a whole lot fster than that machine...which is a split second, hence the concern that a machine actually touted for wake speed was so slow to do so.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There are several threads on this, and it appears to be a common issue on the 2011s. Let's see if updates fix this, since this obviously isn't the experience we all had on the 2010s, and I'm sure Apple knows it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I also suspect that either the new machines' firmware, or Lion itself, sets the deep sleep (suspend) mode to kick in much, much sooner than on previous machine.

For example, my aluminum MacBook will sit in sleep mode when I close the lid and remain that way for a day or two until the battery is completely depleted. Then if I plug it in and start it up, it'll load the suspend image off the HD. This takes a good 20-30 seconds or so. And the battery will be completely empty.

The new Airs, from what I can tell, enter the deep sleep/suspend mode after a couple of hours so the battery doesn't continue to drain. This is why it takes 10 seconds or to reload the image off the SSD. But the battery won't be dead.

Coming out of (light) sleep mode, I agree should be a little faster, but it looks to me like it's a wifi-reconnect cycle occurring BEFORE the desktop comes up and not after. That's why turning off the wifi before closing the lid speeds up the wake cycle.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I also just noticed that if I have my MBA running on battery, if I let it go to sleep (I have it on 1 minute inactivity setting), it usually wakes up the first time.. But if it goes to sleep soon after again, when I press a button/trackpad the screen powers up but it does not come on... I am required to restart it.

If it does come up, usually after extended time, the screen flickers...

Anyone noticed anything similar?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I had migrated throug tiger, leopards, snow leopard and with a 15" MacBook, 13" MacBook white, unibody, mbp13", mba13" but when I get my new mba11" I intend to install everything fresh. I had a lot of lag and odd behavior lately, so I decided to make some time and go throug the library with a fine comb. It helped a lot. So I guess that six or seven years do accumulate a lot of debris.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Not sure what mode it goes into when you close the lid, but that is what I do every night in bed after two hours on battery, and when I lift the lid in the morning the battery% is the same as when I finished, and it immediately opens up to where I left off.

I am on Lion now on a 2010, and it was the same with Leopard.

tut

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not sure what mode it goes into when you close the lid, but that is what I do every night in bed after two hours on battery, and when I lift the lid in the morning the battery% is the same as when I finished, and it immediately opens up to where I left off.

I am on Lion now on a 2010, and it was the same with Leopard.

tut

A lot of people are reporting that their 2011s lose more than expected in deep sleep. Perhaps it's something to do with the 2011s.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
A lot of people are reporting that their 2011s lose more than expected in deep sleep. Perhaps it's something to do with the 2011s.

More likely some interaction between Lion and the hardware in the 2011s. I'm noticing the same behaviour (the loss isn't drastic, but not as minimal as the 2010 was either). I'd guess Lion is failing to power something down when the machine is in this state.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
May 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure its lion and not the 2011s

I have a 2010 11" MBA I upgraded to lion and it began exhibiting this behavior. It didn't with SL.

I also bought a 2011 11" MBA and it has the same issue. Its not horribly long but noticably slower

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure its lion and not the 2011s

I have a 2010 11" MBA I upgraded to lion and it began exhibiting this behavior. It didn't with SL.

I also bought a 2011 11" MBA and it has the same issue. Its not horribly long but noticably slower

Yeah, same here. A few extra seconds before the system is usable. Certainly not boot-time long.

MilkMan4

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
**** THE POSSIBLE FIX ****

Assign yourself a static ip - or dhcp with manual address. It 'seems' to have fixed this issue for me, without having to disable wifi.

Please post feedback on this solution. Cheers.

how is this done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.