Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Just did a chat online with Apple Store.

I want to order a new 2011 mini ($799) model with the i7 upgrade and 2 500g 7200rpm drives.

They say they don't offer that.
And that it cant fit 2 drives.

But When I asked how they fit the SSD + 750 gig option the chat drone said...
"I don't know but we do not offer an option with 2 sata drives."

But the server can come with 2 sata drives? I ask.

"Yes it does" says the chat drone.

I'm confused.

Waiting to see if anybody is going to sell the special internal drive cables to do it myself I guess.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

theom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
may not be worth doing. if you put in a 1tb samsung for about 100 bucks and pull the stock 500gb drive it would cost you about 60 if you sell the oem drive for 40 bucks. now you have a 1 piece 1tb mini but this looks good to me

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/07/15/sonnet.describes.new.gear.at.show.sept.8.13/ the fusion f2-ssd

http://broadcastengineering.com/new...et-technologies-to-show-thunderbolt-07212011/

here they are in sata versions

http://www.barefeats.com/hard139.html

I should include my reasoning for 2 separate drives.
I plan on using the new mini for a DAW where a second physical drive is a necessity for audio files.

I may bite the bullet and get the BTO SSD plus 750 option but man it's expensive.

Also just in case your wondering the TB port will be for a 24 inch monitor and the HDMI for a second monitor.
FW port will go to a digi/avid 002R audio interface.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Mini w/ dual core i7 upgrade and single 500GB 5400 HDD + $899

Mini Server w/ Quad core i7, 2x500GB 7200 HDD = $999. Add $90 to make them both 750GB. Ignore the server software if you don't intend to use it.

If you're recording with ProTools, CPU power is 1,000 times more important than the graphics card upgrade.

For $100 more than you would have spent not upgrading anything, you get a much more powerful CPU, a GPU that is totally adequate for your purposes, the dual hard drives you desire, and faster ones at that.

I had the same dilemma until I took a closer look at the server pricing. Then I bought one. I've never before left an Apple store feeling like I got a deal. Compared to the $2500 Mac Pro (2009) we have in our studio that this currently outperforms, I feel like I got a great one.

Unless you're doing some gaming or HD video rendering you haven't mentioned, you'll be spending less on the server, and it will fit your needs better.

theom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Mini w/ dual core i7 upgrade and single 500GB 5400 HDD + $899

Mini Server w/ Quad core i7, 2x500GB 7200 HDD = $999. Add $90 to make them both 750GB. Ignore the server software if you don't intend to use it.

If you're recording with ProTools, CPU power is 1,000 times more important than the graphics card upgrade.

For $100 more than you would have spent not upgrading anything, you get a much more powerful CPU, a GPU that is totally adequate for your purposes, the dual hard drives you desire, and faster ones at that.

I had the same dilemma until I took a closer look at the server pricing. Then I bought one. I've never before left an Apple store feeling like I got a deal. Compared to the $2500 Mac Pro (2009) we have in our studio that this currently outperforms, I feel like I got a great one.

Unless you're doing some gaming or HD video rendering you haven't mentioned, you'll be spending less on the server, and it will fit your needs better.

Thanks for your post.
I will now consider the server for sure.
I was wondering if the shared ram for the integrated video card would be an issue with protools stability. If that isn't an issue then the i7quad core for sure is the way to go.

Of course I still am going to wait until Avid gets a Lion / Pt 9 system qualified.

Many thanks

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Thanks for your post.
I will now consider the server for sure.
I was wondering if the shared ram for the integrated video card would be an issue with protools stability. If that isn't an issue then the i7quad core for sure is the way to go.

Of course I still am going to wait until Avid gets a Lion / Pt 9 system qualified.

Many thanks

No, it shouldn't be an issue. When you upgrade to 8GB of RAM (and you should, it's too easy not to) you'll see that 512MB is allocated for graphics. I'm guessing you'll be running dual displays? If so, a little bit more allocated RAM for graphics isn't a bad thing.

To be honest, we've run our quad core pro with only 3GB for years with dual displays and have had very few RAM issues. Even though it has a dedicated GPU, with less collective RAM than the stock Mini server, you shouldn't see an issue. Pro Tools itself isn't graphically heavy.

I wouldn't worry too much over it now though. I was able to get one because it's for personal use, we can't upgrade anything in the studio until Avid gets in gear. By the time they do, another refresh will have happened and you'll have another decision to make;). They probably also won't "certify" the Mini in any capacity either. Not that it really matters, the hardware can clearly handle the work, but they've never certified anything other than Mac Pros and MBP's.

Hmmm...maybe it's time to revisit Reaper...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The server is a nice step up from the 799 model, more so if you don't depend on the GPU for much.

From there, I'd recommend upgrading on your own. A nice SSD and perhaps a larger HDD. And of course 8GB of RAM.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
The server is a nice step up from the 799 model, more so if you don't depend on the GPU for much.

From there, I'd recommend upgrading on your own. A nice SSD and perhaps a larger HDD. And of course 8GB of RAM.

The RAM is a must for music production. The SSD is not as ideal. For me it would be great, because all of our audio files are stored externally, but the OP sounds like he wants an all in one solution.

SSD's are fast, but hard drives fill up quick and sacrificing capacity for a little bit of speed isn't always a good trade off.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Just get the server, and ignore the server software, it may cost a bit more, but really, that 1000 bucks buys you a pretty nice computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.