PDA

View Full Version : No 'Erase Destination' checkbox in Disk Utility

ProwlingTiger
Jul 29, 2011, 08:45 PM
In Disk Utility, when I try and restore an image to a USB drive (or even harddrive for that matter) there's no checkbox for 'Erase Destination.' Every guide online indicates there should be a checkbox, but I don't have one.

Edit: Here's an image of what it should look like (not my image). Notice the checkbox? I don't have that on my Disk Utility.

Hugh
Jul 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
In Disk Utility, when I try and restore an image to a USB drive (or even harddrive for that matter) there's no checkbox for 'Erase Destination.' Every guide online indicates there should be a checkbox, but I don't have one.

Edit: Here's an image of what it should look like (not my image). Notice the checkbox? I don't have that on my Disk Utility.

In the image you posted shows the original to be the CD and the restore to be the jump drive/hard drive.

Are you trying to do the same but in reverse? Restoring onto a DVD/CD? If so that might be why you are not getting the Erase Destination option.

Hugh

ProwlingTiger
Jul 31, 2011, 02:53 PM
In the image you posted shows the original to be the CD and the restore to be the jump drive/hard drive.

Are you trying to do the same but in reverse? Restoring onto a DVD/CD? If so that might be why you are not getting the Erase Destination option.

Hugh

No, that image was not mine. I'm trying to restore a .dmg image from my harddrive to a USB stick.

andymodem
Jul 31, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have the same thing going on with my Disk Utility in Lion. :(

Hugh
Jul 31, 2011, 05:58 PM
No, that image was not mine. I'm trying to restore a .dmg image from my harddrive to a USB stick.

Hmmm. Make sure you are using GUID partitioning scheme on your USB drive, this could be a problem if it's not using GUID. Other then that I'm just shooting in the dark.

Hugh

ejoso
Aug 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
I think that this is an issue with Lion's updated Disk Utility - it's version 12 (346) on my machine. This is just a suspicion, but I think that functionality goes away after upgrading