Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Heyo,

So I decided to do a fresh install of Lion, because my computer was full of glitches and bugs after installing the new OS. I backed up my MacBook to my Time Capsule just incase, and then transferred 350 GBs of necessary files to an external hard drive. I then restarted my computer in Recovery HD mode, erased my entire hard drive, and then proceeded to install a fresh copy of Lion. That's where I am now.

It's been going for about 20 minutes, and it has not changed at all. The progress bar is set at 0, and it has said "5 hours and 40 minutes remaining" the entire time. It also says, "Downloading additional components. Your computer will restart automatically." Even though it's been stuck on that screen for quite some time, the Finder bar is still responsive when I click on it.

Is this normal, or is the installation frozen? Only thing I can think of is that perhaps it's downloading Lion again from the App store and the progress bar is an indicator of the install time, not the download time. The Recovery HD partition was only 500 MB, which obviously wouldn't hold Lion, so do you think that's the reason why? And after it downloads the 4 GB Lion it will then start to become responsive?

Just hoping I'm not wasting hours of computer-less time! Thanks!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The Recovery process is an emergency thing; it's designed to allow you to reinstall after a catastrophic failure. In order to do that, it can do an internet recovery, which means it downloads what it needs. You might have wound up there, but I'm not sure since I haven't used it yet. I think that it essentially downloads the installer again. See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I would think it would be better to start from your computer's disks, install a basic SL system, upgrade it with Lion, and then restore/migrate your stuff.

Or, create a bootable Lion DVD and proceed from there; you can find instructions online.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.