PDA

View Full Version : Printer driver worked in SL but not in Lion?

bookemdano
Jul 29, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hello all,

I've done some searching but haven't thusfar come across any discussion of what changed in Lion's printing subsystem. My assumption was that it wasn't much different from Snow Leopard, but it appears I was wrong. I have a Brother P-Touch 1500PC label maker (which admittedly is quite a number of years old at this point). It was working just fine in Snow Leopard but I did a clean install of Lion and needed to set it up again. I installed the driver (which installed without issue) but when I then plugged in the printer it did not show up in the list of printers. It's available to install when I click the + button but when I get to the step to choose a driver I don't see the one I installed listed.

Just to compare I took the printer over to one of my other Macs--still running Snow Leopard, installed the pkg and then plugged in the printer. It showed up immediately in the list of printers and when I went to the driver property page it said "the driver for this printer can not be changed", which I am not accustomed to seeing (normally that screen lets you modify the driver). I include this bit of information just in case it helps one of the gurus here determine if this printer is using a type of driver that no longer works in Lion or something.

Does Lion require 64-bit printer drivers now? That seems like a good explanation but I'm still puzzled because I'm running the 64-bit Snow Leopard kernel on my MacBook Pro and this printer installs just fine there.

The only other thing I could think of would be if the driver uses Rosetta--but wouldn't Lion complain about that when I installed the driver? I remember previously on Snow Leopard if you installed a PowerPC app but hadn't yet installed Rosetta, a dialog box popped up and prompted you to install it. I know Rosetta is no longer available in Lion, but my assumption is that if you try to install something that requires it Lion will let you know you can't. Maybe I'm wrong about that though?

It's not the end of the world if I can't get this printer working in Lion, but I wasn't expecting to have any problem because it doesn't appear to me that there was much change in that area between Snow Leopard and Lion.

I have attached the driver pkg (in a zip) in case someone is willing to take a look at it and see if there's any way it will work in Lion, or explain why it will not.

Much appreciate any help with this!

bookemdano
Jul 30, 2011, 10:49 PM
Just to add some more information, I tried installing the driver on a 32bit Snow Leopard install, confirmed it was working, and then booted up into the 64bit kernel. The printer still shows in the list and still works.

Then with that printer installed and working, I upgraded that system to Lion and the printer is still there and working fine.

So I'm wondering if it's just a fluke that it wasn't working on the other Lion system--will try again Monday.

RonKoyich
Aug 8, 2011, 09:25 PM
Similar situation to yours, Bookem - the Brother site where I downloaded the drivers says they will not support my model 2420PC label printer on 10.7

I have not used this label printer on a Mac before, only on PC - I do have it working on my Macbook Air, with Snow Leopard.

Ron

Just to add some more information, I tried installing the driver on a 32bit Snow Leopard install, confirmed it was working, and then booted up into the 64bit kernel. The printer still shows in the list and still works.

Then with that printer installed and working, I upgraded that system to Lion and the printer is still there and working fine.

So I'm wondering if it's just a fluke that it wasn't working on the other Lion system--will try again Monday.

DustinT
Aug 12, 2011, 06:43 PM
My experience with a Dell 3115cn is that the isntaller requires Rosetta which is not available in Lion. Upgrading my personal machine to Lion worked fine since the driver was already installed but trying to install it on my wife's brand new Macbook Air won't work since it only supports Lion.

Sigh. Is there any way to extract the driver from the .dmg file and install it manually?

essadler
Mar 21, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just got off the phone with Brother and there is no driver for my old faithful p-Touch 1500 that would work with Lion. ARRGH! Just unplugged it and will keep it around in case Brother has a change of heart and makes a new driver. :(:eek::mad: