Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Hi everyone!

I've been reading the forums for a long time, but have never actually registered until tonight! :p I am here in hopes of seeking advice for my current conundrum: iPad vs laptop! Seems like a silly question, but I am so torn.

I purchased a MacBook Pro a few days ago and as much as I love it, it's a little too much for what I actually need. I have a 27 inch iMac that I do the majority of my school work on (yes, that makes me a student!) I take classes online, so I never actually take a computer to a class. I was looking for a nice complimentary product for my iMac that would be more casual and not really for school use. Internet surfing, emailing, Facebook, music, instant netflix watching, e-book reading, etc. I actually did a lot of research and was captivated by the MBP, but now that I have one, I find myself longing for an iPad! I'd rather have one or the other.

I could understand keeping the MBP if it were my only computer, but I have my beautiful iMac. Would it be totally absurd to replace a MBP with an iPad? :confused: I would save/get back quite a bit of money as an added bonus. I spent so much on my laptop, I didn't get any goodies or accessories with it. :(

I guess I am just confused and looking for advice from anyone who has maybe made this exact same decision? Please shed some light fellow Apple :apple: lovers!

Also, if I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize! :eek:

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
oops. I did post this in the wrong place! sorry everyone... I have no idea how to delete it now. I will repost in the right place :(

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seems like the imac+ipad would complement your needs perfectly, assuming you don't really need it for any serious work.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I have essentially the same setup. My MBP makes a great doorstop. You can get along fine with just the iMac and iPad.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
iPad Is Ideal

For your needs. My laptop which runs Windows 7 64 bit spends nearly all it's time in it's case. My iPad does everything I need when I'm away from my iMac.

I only keep the laptop for a few clients who can't get their heads around Apple.

Sell the MB and buy a nice 64gb Ipad2, you won't regret it:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.